Dismiss Notice
To celebrate the launch of our Skyblock reset, we are hosting a 40% Flash Sale over on our Webstore.

A Revision to the Friend System

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by riddlework, May 17, 2020.

?

Should there be a /rf?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. riddlework

riddlework
    Hey everyone,

You might know me, you might not. I've been around for a while. I've played on MCC since early 2016, and I've seen the server go through a lot of changes. One of those changes has been the friend system, which was added I believe sometime in 2017. The friend system itself has gone through many revisions and provides us all with a very useful tool for talking to friends across subservers and knowing where any particular friend is at a given time. However, one fallout of this system is that every single time you want to message a friend, you have to type out /msgf [IGN]. Every. Single. Time. Even with the shortest of IGNs this can get very bothersome. So, my recommendations is that there be a revision to the friends system in which a command is added that allows us to do /rf, responding to the last friend message that we received. Let me know what you think of this down below!

Thanks a lot for reading this and have a good day!
    riddlework

#1 riddlework, May 17, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
    brandnew, puposaurus, Lewklo and 2 others like this.
  2. Liam5397

This man is genius you need him on staff

riddlework likes this.
  3. Liam5397

Woman*

riddlework likes this.
  4. iTristan

iTristan_
    Hey Riddlework!

I totally agree with you that the friend system needs some updating. @Elecctricc made a very detailed post similar to this. You should totally go check it out here:

https://mccentral.org/community/threads/a-better-social-system.66488/

That being said I do think there needs to be a more convenient way to reply to your friends whatever the command is as long as it's short.

- Tris

riddlework and Elecctricc like this.
  5. riddlework

riddlework
    Tristan,

While Elecctricc does cover various topics in a very thorough manner in his post he does not mention a reply feature, specifically for which my post is about.

Thanks,
    riddlework

6. stiva

seray
    hey riddlerrr

i 100% agree with this! it’s really tough especially in minigames when a friend is msging you and you have to type out their full name. overall, it would just be so much more convenient to do /rf. i honestly think that /rf and some of the things that Elecctricc has noted in his post would be great additions in the near future!

riddlework likes this.
  7. iZyro

iZyro
    Hey,

I agree the friend system could definitely use some revision, and I like the suggestion of /rf, it would be a very useful command, and it would be a very efficient alternative to having to /msgf every single time you want to send a message to a friend which can get very time consuming. Another thing I think that could be added in order to improve the friend system, is instead of seeing "This friend is currently offline" when looking through your friends list, i think it would also be nice if you could see when the player was last online, and maybe even the most recent past username they have(for friends who have recently changed their username), being able to see when a friend was last online would be good because it would be helpful for users who have a lot of friends because it would make it a lot easier for them to see who is inactive, allowing them to remove them from their friends list if they want to keep only active players on their friend list.

riddlework likes this.
  8. Firebal676

Firebal
    This is nice, easier commands make things easy.

Also perhaps adding a remove request would be good too. As most likely mentioned somewhere already.

riddlework likes this.
  9. iFeast

iFeast
    Hey, I really like this because I know how tiresome the messaging system can be. Additionally they should look into shortening party commands to things like /p invite, /p disband, etc.

riddlework likes this.
  10. riddlework

riddlework
    Hey,

While I agree with you I don't know how this would conflict with plot commands in Prison, Survival, Creative, etc.

Thanks,
    riddlework

11. iFeast

iFeast
    Great point, completely forgot about that. Whoops

riddlework likes this.
  12. ThorKingOfAsgard

ThorKingOfAsgard
    Hey, @riddlework I totally agree with your revision to the friend system. The reason for this is because I dislike typing /msgf (player username) every time when I want to chat with my friends it gets repetitive doing it over and over again and it also gets kind of tiring after a while. Especially if my friend's in-game username is a long name also short ones as well but the long usernames are annoying typing it over and over again. I think adding a /rf command to talk to the friend I last chatted with. Overall it is a +1 for the revision to the friend system idea and have yourself a wonderful day or night.

riddlework and brandnew like this.
  13. Elecctricc

Elecctricc
    Hello @riddlework! I think I should add that in my post trying to create a better social system (As @iTristan linked), I did add a possible change to the current /msgf :) I do like having /rf as a possibility however I personally feel that having it could confuse people as the "fm" means friend message" quite like how I abbreviate friend to "fr" - and having "rf" could confuse however again, that justs my opinion :)

Thanks for creating the suggestion though! I left a screenshot from my original post of the changes that I would make to the current friend system.
    - Elecctricc
    Screenshot at May 18 11-09-00.png

14. Lewklo

zaeuz
    yes!! this is a great idea and im sure everyone agrees as it would be much less time consuming and overall just be easier for us to have a convo over msgf. I also agree with what iZyro said above that maybe you could see players in your friend lists past usernames and the last time they were online - as i think that would also be helpful! if not tho theres always namemc.com. anyways, tysm for suggesting this idea, i think that it should really be added!

riddlework, sophi and brandnew like this.
  15. Ankh

Ankh
    I can agree that a friend reply command is very much overdue. Especially with people who have ridiculously long/tedious names. Used to know someone who had a 16 letter name consisting of only lowercase L's, uppercase i's, and 1's. Honestly for me right now, I find it easiest to open chat and go to previous message, then Ctrl+Backspace the entire message, just so you don't need to re-type their username.

Also as Firebal mentioned, it would be nice to have a way to view your outgoing friend requests, and cancel them. I've got no clue how many pending requests I have, but it's probably in the near hundreds. Though there would need to be a cooldown, say 5 minutes, on how often you can send a request to someone. Otherwise people would just send, cancel, send, cancel... you get the picture.

Firebal676 and riddlework like this.
  16. riddlework

riddlework
    Hey,

The request cool down is a genius idea. When someone gets mad and they decide to take it out on you passive-aggressively by spamming you with friend requests, it gets real old real quick.

Thanks,
    riddlework

17. forgranted

inhabited
    Hey there!
    I actually love this idea as I hate having to type /msgf every single time I want to message one of my friends. I like your idea but on the contrary, the problem I could see with this is if your messaging multiple people at once. At that point, you'd have to go through and do /msgf again and again. Overall, I do believe a friend messaging remake is long overdue, but thank you for bringing it up!
    +0.75
    Best of luck to you!

riddlework likes this.
  18. Ianto

Ianto
    Hello!
    I definitely agree! I'm often caught juggling between friends, guild chat, and regular chat. I definitely think /rf should be included! Even if it would only save around 2 seconds of typing, it'd be beneficial in the long run in organizing friend chats and replies.
    Have a good day/evening!

riddlework likes this.

Minecraft Central Store | Powered by Xenforo | Minecraft Central Rules
The MCC server is in no way affiliated with Mojang, AB. Nor should it be considered a company endorsed by Mojang, AB.