Remove blacklist command, show a list of blacklisted words.

Discussion in 'Server Suggestions' started by IAmTheNextGod, Jun 24, 2020.

1. IAmTheNextGod

Ola there,

As I am now muted so many times, and staffmembers are forcing me to check every single word I type to check if it is not blacklisted, we need to change this.

It is not professional that you got to check for every single word if it is not blacklisted. Clearly when you are dropping a meme.

Also showing what word I have bypassed while filtering, is not their strongest point:

upload_2020-6-24_8-34-11.png

If you ask me this is abusing powers and just baiting people, but okay. I can understand he is just a staffmember doing what he haves to do.

But now people have still no clue which words are blacklisted. If I check on peepee, it is not a blacklisted word.
    This is not working at all. How am I supposed to know if it is filtering something if the absolute command to check if a word is allowed says it is allowed, and then staffmembers say it is not. Remember, peepee is a meme and there is nothign to check on except for peepee.

Also the unprofesional reaction to say that I am not aware of the server rules is bullshit either. I check the word, and it says it is not blacklisted and I get disrespected for this type of stuff.

The point of the post is to release every blacklisted word so we can know what we should not bypass, as again, I am dropping a meme and I have no clue that a word is blacklisted if the command says it is not. It is not clear at all, and clearly a black hole in the rule that gave a mute that is not deserved.

Or, add a rule that says that you are not allowed to drop memes in chat. I dont mind either way.

2. Dionnysus

Dionnysus
    Hey Ricardo,

The reason of all those words being blacklisted is mainly to keep the chat as filtered as possible. an unfiltered chat just isn't what you want ofcourse especially when a big part of the community is a younger audience. I do think the idea of having an entire list with all the blacklisted words might be a good idea but since the /blacklistcheck command is quite solid I don't think that this is necessary and having a list of those words might take a lot of time updating it once in a while since there are new words getting added to the blacklist aswell.
    Remember that filterbypassing just isn't allowed and it shouldn't matter if it is a meme or not. Also the context in wich you put a certain word is most of the times the reason you get muted. I'd recommend just to think twice about anything you want to put in chat.
    Taking a look at the rules might be a good idea to prevent getting more mutes in the future.

Hope I clarified some things for you :3 Enjoy the rest of your day Ricardo!

#2 Dionnysus, Jun 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
    Swinger and Simplistiq like this.
  3. IAmTheNextGod

You are not reading what I say.

I am not gonna code a bot to check all possible words because that are millions of words. I want to see a list of blacklisted words and I am sure alot of people want to see this. This is better than checking every sentance and spending 2 minutes instead of 5 seconds. We are not allowed to chat anymore without feeling secure and safe. This is full sadness.

Lexxonist and olo_YT like this.
  4. Simplistiq

snoic
    Hey, I personally don’t find this necessary. I’d simply say, just watch what you say. I find the command useful. If you have a little bit of common sense and a self filter you should be good, and getting muted for filter bypass can be avoided easily. I don’t see them adding this as I find the current command useful. Just watch what you say in chat, I know it can be hard. :) Although, it can be useful with a full list of the blacklisted words.

#4 Simplistiq, Jun 24, 2020
    Invader and Dionnysus like this.
  5. Amvya

amarism
    I agree i think that if you are playing on a mine craft server that is generally populated by children not saying certain words should be of common knowledge. I do not think that they should release a whole list of words that are blacklisted as it should be of your own judgement to acknowledge what is and is not bypass/blacklisted like abbreviations of bodily parts that are blacklisted. It is easy to type in the command to see if it is allowed or not allowed. Given, when you're typing and you know that the literal word is blacklisted, just do not say it as it will ensure a mute. Also ,when you type a word it will also give you a warning if it blacklisted or not.

#5 Amvya, Jun 24, 2020
  6. 4151

Hey there!
    I personally think this is a good suggestion as i have said a word which isn't rude at all it wasn't like sexual stuff or swear words. And i accidently bypassed the filter then got muted. So this will be a +1 from me. Also not many people know what are blacklisted words like new players they sometimes say a word which is blacklisted but they mis-spelt it so the filter doesnt pop up a message saying thats blacklisted.
    Anyways,
    Have a lovely day/night

-[Immortal]akaGast
    Discord-akaGast#0001

Lexxonist likes this.
  7. IAmTheNextGod

If I knew it was blacklisted I would not have typed it. bigbrain. I dont know which words are blacklisted and while typing a sentance I do not check every single word, like "I" "am" "having" "a" "stroke". no body is ever gonna do that. I am just dissapointed that even tho it is so easy to get all the blacklisted words and just drop them somewhere, they still refuse. English isn't my first language and I have no clue what is being "insulted" to children, as we say a lot of stuff here in holland.

8. jowhk

jowhk
    Hey there! I completely agree with your suggestion. I was wondering if this could be implemented ON TOP of the existing command. It would make it so much easier to figure out which are blacklisted words to chatreport (in-case they are evading the filter). /blacklistedwords - would be a great idea.

Thanks for the suggestion. I hope this gets added! <3

9. Invader

Who said you needed to code a bot to check all the inappropriate words? The command "/blacklistcheck" is used to check for filtered words in the case that players are curious to see if a word is blacklisted. If you spell a blacklisted word correctly, then you should clearly see in chat that it'll say; "Your message contained a blacklisted word <word> and was not sent" or something related to that. As this server is 13+ recommended, there will always be a rulebreaker so you should expect players to be swearing.

Just don't act inappropriately or immature in chat and you should be fine. Even if you live outside the US and you're country allows certain conversations, that does not mean it applies to all websites across the internet. @Dionnysus is for sure in the right and so was the Staff Member who denied your appeal. Memes are meant to be funny, not inappropriate. Clearly the memes you're looking into are filled with Dark Humor so always watch what you're posting in chat. Back to the topic, if they were to add a list of blacklisted words, I believe it should be listed under the rules in a spoiler section which can be brought up with the Admin Team.

However, I 100% disagree with the removal of the /blacklistcheck command as it is useful for Staff Members and Community Members. Then again, your suggestion for a list of filtered words should definitely be added for curiosity sake. Either way, I'm neutral on this discussion.

- Fox

#9 Invader, Jun 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
  10. olo_YT

olo_YT
    I disagree if you checked the ages frequency distribution for MCC the majority falls into the older teen category.

11. Swinger

Swinger
    Hey Ricardo! This has been explained fantastically by Fox and Dion above, so I'll just be elaborating on the important points. Fox is right in that you shouldn't really need a list of blacklisted words, as any blacklisted word spelled correctly should be filtered automatically by the server. The reason /blacklistcheck-ing the word you used came up with nothing is the same reason why any other blacklisted word spelt wrong won't come up; it's designed to get around that filter in the first place.

A lot of the blacklisted words are just common sense. You're unlikely to be using any of them frequently, unless intentionally being inappropriate or disrespectful. That being said, I do see where you're coming from in terms of the filter bypass you used. I think clarity to the community about how that particular word is punished on the rules page would go a long way to helping curb the unintentional bypassing of it, as it is one of the more common things players get muted for. For now just keep in mind that even when you're joking around, using the word in a potentially inappropriate context means that we have to mute.

I'm 50/50 on adding an actual list of blacklisted words. There's a reason why we don't currently display any blacklisted words as examples on the rules page; we don't want to expose MCC's younger player base to these words. It also seems a little overkill, considering that most words are already blocked by the server chat filter and that /blacklistcheck exists. I can understand why it would be useful though, so if it was to be added it should be as a viewable list linked to the filter bypass rules section, with a disclaimer warning people before they're able to access it.

Amvya likes this.
  12. TeddyPrice

I think this is a suggestion with good intents behind it, if you wanted a list of EVERY single word that can get you muted for filter bypass, you would be reading a book. Theres so many different forms of each blacklisted word that it would spam your chat with words. What i think would be even better is if they just updated the filter!!! Its not like you are allowed to say certain words anyways so if it filters your message, woopie! You just dodged a mute. So if you like this suggestion on your suggestion (lol) make another suggestion following this.

13. Lexxonist

Lexxonist
    +1 Would be nice to know what words are blacklisted and what aren't. There's also the issue of when one uses a synonym for certain words. o.o

14. soulsnad

If the blacklisted words are already coded into the filter plugin, I don't think it would take too much effort to add a full list of blacklisted words. I agree with some of the staff but also with you. I think a list would be a good addition on top of the /blacklistcheck command. If staff is worried about younger people reading it, put an age check or something on the rules page or at least a spoiler tab.

15. Ahnxious

Emiies
    +1 Honestly people should know already know what not to say and what to say in public chat. Its common sense. This would be a good command to basically slam people with a ban or mute if they say something inappropriate. This also gives staff an opportunity to say why didnt you check /blacklisted words, without having people say "I didnt know you couldnt say *****".

16. CatBoyFable

fablesoul
    I made a thread similar to this a long long time ago, before I was staff. And now, looking back on it, I understand why there isn’t a list. When you try to type a message with a blacklisted word, it won’t let you. That should be the first sign that says you cannot say that word. If you simply just retype the message and bypass the filter, then that’s on you. There was a clear sign that said there was a blacklisted word - and in your message, you cannot identify it, then I’d advise asking a staff member or just try rereading your message. I feel like adding a list is 1) pointless as we already have /blacklistcheck and 2) encourages ways to subtly bypass the already set filter.

Here’s a link to the thread I made a while back (here) and the responses to it are explained carefully and more intricate. Although I had the standpoint of having the addition of a list, with enough experience (and looking through the chat reports staff members received) I can gladly say adding a list wouldn’t be beneficial.

Thanks for reading my views on this topic; if you’d like to discuss more, feel free to pm me. Also, it’s best to just say nice things :D

17. IAmTheNextGod

Yeah? I didnt type a message before. I didnt get a warning. You think its all cool because you are staff, but I am already typing a complaint about warning me but completely allowing gangs to have sexual names. Working on it. Stop being lazy, we dont get warnings brother so stop spreading false stuff. I asked staff 2 minutes ago, oh yeah, there isn't any.

Minecraft Central Store | Powered by Xenforo | Minecraft Central Rules
The MCC server is in no way affiliated with Mojang, AB. Nor should it be considered a company endorsed by Mojang, AB.