Why I think there should be a community voting system for maps

Discussion in 'Server Suggestions' started by HypEric9918, Jun 18, 2022.

1. HypEric9918

I made a CTF map, Pac-Man, in recent times. I admit it had problems and I have been thinking about trying to mess around with World Edit to make a better version of it with a little more open space, Pac-Man Arcadium, and add more Namco arcade themes to it. However, I have noticed something about map submission in this server. You often don't really notice how much approval the community has of maps by looking at the thread. You just get a few comments, some complementing, criticizing, and occasionally toxic. All you can really do to get a map added is maybe message the admins and try to get their approval. They don't seem to be interested most of the time, most likely because they have no idea how much the community wants maps added. I think there should be a voting system in the map submission forums so that the community can give the admins an idea on how much of the community wants the map added. Then the admins can decide whether or not to add the map based on approval percentages.

Trainsgender and WaChinYu like this.
  2. WaChinYu

WaChinYu
    This would be nice. To do this we would need to add a Poll feature in the map submission form. Poll feature already exists for posts in the other categories so why not add it for Map Submission as well?

HypEric9918 and Trainsgender like this.
  3. Issel

POOPgodIssel
    I feel like there are already too many maps for CTF especially. I know quite a few players who quit because they were unhappy with there being so many new maps to learn. Some sort of monthly map circulation to decrease the total amount of map voting options with maybe 10-15 maps to choose from per circulation could maybe fix this as players would get to properly learn all the maps. I do however doubt they will add this as CTF isn't a priority as it doesnt doesn't bring in the $.

HypEric9918 and Trainsgender like this.
  4. WaChinYu

WaChinYu
    Before when there were only a few maps you could fully master them. Now with 30 maps for CTF, most players will never master any of the maps, I surely haven’t.

Since the player base is limited, this could be a nice addition. Both for old returning players and newer players so they don’t become overwhelmed by all the new maps. Something like quality over quantity - we’ve got too many maps too fast.

Issel, HypEric9918 and Trainsgender like this.
  5. Trainsgender

Trainsgender
    As Tom Scott puts it, "people like a combination of novelty and familiarity". As @Issel described so well in his YouTube video, there has been a historic lack of updates on MCC ("familiarity") and then the revamp came which was too much novelty at once. While I personally do not mind there being 30 maps at once (without trying to sound arrogant, I know most routes on most maps), I do agree that map rotation should be added. I made a post about minigame map rotation earlier: https://mccentral.org/community/threads/minigame-map-rotation.151898/

Community voting definitely should be added, and furthermore (and this is gonna be a controversial opinion), I believe that the admin's opinion is irrelevant when map candidates are condidered since they barely play the maps themselves. Voting could be implemented via these forums but (let's be honest) that's quite an outdated way of communicating, even though I like forums so much. A better alternative would be to use a Discord bot which makes it easier for people to cast their vote, but this would be hard to implement in practice.

On a final note, I believe that it is vital that new maps get added, while not removing old maps. Keeping the old maps provides the familiarity while adding new maps brings some novelty to the game. It is no secret that not updating a game or software quickly makes it outdated. Map rotation could be a solution for the growing number of maps, although I personally think some maps could be removed (read my post linked above for more information about that).

Issel and HypEric9918 like this.

Minecraft Central Store | Powered by Xenforo | Minecraft Central Rules
The MCC server is in no way affiliated with Mojang, AB. Nor should it be considered a company endorsed by Mojang, AB.