Dismiss Notice
To celebrate the launch of our Skyblock reset, we are hosting a 40% Flash Sale over on our Webstore.

Why have blacklisted words when you can use **

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by olut, Apr 12, 2020.

1. olut

Why have blacklisted words when you can use *** like in Hypixel to block out the disrespectful words. Getting muted for something you don't understand would be labelled disrespectful is more than annoying, and they lack to give warnings. Why not save the helper's time and just use **** for unwanted language?

2. Olisaurus123

Olisaurus123
    Hello olut
    I understand that being muted for something you were unaware was disrespectful must be frustrating, however, if they used '*' instead of blacklisting the words, players would tend to use the blacklisted words more, creating a more toxic and un welcoming environment. You can always appeal your punishment here: https://mccentral.org/community/forums/appeals/ if you didn't know you could be punished but it's up to the staff that punished you.

Have a good day
    Olisaurus :)

3. babynoots

Hey! You can check blacklisted words in-game by doing /blacklistcheck [word]. Using *** counts as filter bypass as mentioned in the rules here under Chat Offences. Just don't use the wrong words and you will be fine, and check if you are ever unsure.

mxbel likes this.
  4. Nikki_

Nikki_
    Hey there!
    I've always seen players get frustrated because they got muted for something they didn't know was punishable, so something I always tell them for future reference, if you ever feel the absolute need (which I'd hope not) you can always check /blacklistcheck (word) to see if it is a blacklisted word, and then just not use that word, or block parts of it out, or you could still be muted. The reason hyphons aren't used, as Oli said is to avoid players feeling unwanted, as more players would be using blacklisted words, which are clearly far worse than the non blacklisted words.
    Just for future reference, to avoid being muted, /blacklistcheck (word) will tell you if it will get you muted or not, if it shows red, do not say it or substitue for it.

If you have any questions, message me on discord, or @ me in general MCC

Nikki <3

5. puposaurus

puposaurus
    hello hello. i feel like having the words be flat out blacklisted is better than having a “*”censor a portion of the word or replace the whole word. having the * can imply certain things if there is context or anything of that sorts.
    players can be muted for ‘filter bypass’ when players use “*” to replace certain letters of words depending on how many letter and/or context. for example if someone said “n*gga” they’d get muted, but for something like “n***a” they wouldn’t, but it can be implied by other players what they mean.
    i feel that having the words flat out blacklisted helps keep the community a little more cleaner.
    for what you mentioned about hypixel, i believe it is that way becusde players can have a choice to allow bad words (like “fuck”, “shit”, “egirl”), but they still have offensive words like the n word completely blocked/blacklisted for any player to use or say.
    hope this kinda answers you.
    have a great cay

babynoots likes this.

Minecraft Central Store | Powered by Xenforo | Minecraft Central Rules
The MCC server is in no way affiliated with Mojang, AB. Nor should it be considered a company endorsed by Mojang, AB.