Dismiss Notice
To celebrate the launch of our Skyblock reset, we are hosting a 40% Flash Sale over on our Webstore.

Why Coinflipping Is An Integral Part of MCC

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Melons__, Mar 25, 2020.

?

Do you still believe that coinflips should be removed? (Answer AFTER reading)

1. Yes, remove coinflips.

14.3%
  2. I'm on the fence.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No, coinflips should remain a part of MCC.

85.7%
  1. Melons__

The Beginning: "Coinflipping is bad"
    The arguments about coinflipping on MCC have been going on for a while. However, the first big thread about it was found here. If you couldn't be bothered to read it, the main argument comes down to this:
    Coinflipping is bad because it causes "gambling addiction".
    Actually, no. It's your choice whether or not to coinflip. Players can choose to play it safe and keep their money, or flip it away with the full knowledge that they will likely lose.
    Oh also

I sure do love Alex Market.
    Again, in this thread. It makes zero sense. If you don't want to lose, don't coinflip. And it was the playerbase in itself that chose to have the house take part of your profit.
    My Two Cents
    Coinflipping isn't completely random, and actually is a lot of fun. The algorithm is also interesting, and although I don't know exactly how it works, here's what I've learned from my experience winning and losing millions on multiple subservers.
    The Algorithm
    Some ground rules:
    • Odds start at 50/50.
    • Some claim that Tails has higher odds, but that has not been proven.
    • Switching sides or logging out for a longer period of time resets the algorithm.
    With those out of the way, we have some things that most people do not know:
    • The more you lose in a row, the higher your odds get. This appears to increase exponentially, given that after 7 losses in a row your next coinflip is almost guaranteed.
    • Logging during the coinflip does NOT increase your odds of winning.
    • Winning multiple coinflips in a row will likely decrease your odds, although not to the same extent as losing.
    Strategy?
    These facts actually make coinflipping very skillful, and I place most coinflippers into 2 different categories: Riggers and Stringers.
    Aside from the fact that they have terrible names, these two strategies differ completely.
    The Rigger's Strategy
    • Place multiple small coinflips ($1-100k) on the same side in a row.
    • Some riggers will take these same coinflips on an alt account.
    • After losing 3-4 of their small coinflips in a row, the rigger will place a medium sized flip (500k-2mil)
    • IF the rigger loses this coinflip, they bet big, normally between 5 and 10 million dollars.
    While this is a good strategy, it is also very risky, as it is still mostly odds-based. These are the lucky ones, the ones that are on CF top winners - and top losers. One player that uses this strategy is xSniikeZ_, a well known Skyblock player.

The Stringer's Strategy
    • Begin with a starting amount, generally 1/50 to 1/70th of the stringer's balance.
    • If the stringer wins the starting coinflip, they switch sides and make the same bet again.
    • If the stringer loses, they stay on the same side and double their bet.
    • If they lose again, they double again until they win.
    • Once they win, they switch sides and go back to the starting amount.
    The thing about this strategy is that - if you multiply by 2.1 in order to stop the house taking 10% - it is Guaranteed to win you money provided you have enough, and it is therefore the safest bet. These types of people are almost never on top losers, and usually wind up on the top 10 winners, but it takes hours of coinflipping and time.
    Conclusion
    Coinflips do not need to be removed. There are a variety of strategies and coinflipping is an important part of the economy. They make sense and I hope to see them remain in MCC for years to come.

CatBoyFable and Laziih like this.
  2. seekingattention

seekingattention
    I hate coinflips because I never win.

However, I don't see anything wrong with it. If you think you're getting a gambling addiction from minecraft and you're concerned about it, then I have some great news for you: it gets a whole lot worse, just wait till you turn 21. You should know what you're getting yourself into before you decide to press that button.

I'm just a regular player, so I don't do any of these crazy strategies- I just want to play the game. So, every time I enter a coinflip, I always ask myself- is it really worth it if I lose all this money, and I have to go back into the mines for an hour to earn it all back? And if I win, am I gonna keep pressing my luck? Thankfully, I'm never in that position of wanting to push my luck because I never win. That's why I hack in wagers instea-

All in all though, I agree with your thread and I don't really see a reason to remove CF's. At the end of the day, it's all in good fun, and it's your choice when it comes to how far you want to go with it.

3. Josh

Coinflipping should remain on MCCentral because it can be fun. It's a 50/50 chance every time. There are no strategies. It's the player's choice to coinflip so it's their own fault if they lose.

Minecraft Central Store | Powered by Xenforo | Minecraft Central Rules
The MCC server is in no way affiliated with Mojang, AB. Nor should it be considered a company endorsed by Mojang, AB.