We need more staff that can actually PVP.

Discussion in 'Server Suggestions' started by kongking3751, Feb 21, 2022.

1. kongking3751

The fact of the matter is, the vast majority of the staff are more casual players when it comes to PVP, and that's perfectly okay.

But there's a problem when players are quitting realm servers in droves due to cheating, both blatant cheating and closet cheating. Almost the entirety of the top-level KitPVP playerbase consisted of cheaters. It was very obvious if you actually tried playing against most of them. 3.3-3.4 blocks of reach, low velocity settings, and probably some smooth aim thrown in there. You need to start cracking down on cheating.

KitPVP already died, and Prison is going to be next. There is a player named SweatyBomb, who will act extraordinarily toxic just to bait you to chase him, and then he will hide in the mine or in a structure, and he will immediately toggle all of his settings (autoclicker, crits, autoblock, etc.) to out damage you. There are a grand total of 3 people (maybe) who like SweatyBomb because of his own actions. To any experienced player, this closet cheating would be fairly obvious after 1 or 2 fights. Yet, the staff continue to do nothing. He will outdamage me by 30% or more, after losing the trades by upwards of 5 hits. I click 15-20 cps. His settings have to be wild to do what he does.

The forum report requirement is honestly unhelpful. You need staff who actually understand pvp. Considering that KitPVP and Factions are dead, the Prison Playerbase has a decent selection of players who understand game mechanics. I love this server, just find some people who know what they're doing.

Thanks,

2. notaspleen

notaspleen
    I actually quite agree with this. When I was a staff member, often times when a hacker was reported there wasn't someone online who understood PvP well enough to say with certainty whether someone was cheating or not. This is not to say that you need to be a PvP main to know/be pretty sure someone is hacking, but having lots of PvP experience is definitely extremely useful in identifying and deciding whether or not someone is cheating. The most I could do (as a staff who was not very experienced with PvP) when from above it was not quite blatant but suspicious would be to say ehhhh I'm not sure, a screenshare would be helpful. While a really good screenshare is definitely the most accurate way, having someone who could say "yeah, this guy is probably cheating," or get enough evidence in a 1v1 of hacks, would be invaluable to the team.

Of course, the main takeaway from reading your thread is that you should apply for the team if you think you have something to add, and/or encourage people you know who are experience PvPers apply. The best way to improve the staff team is to add your own skills to it, so I would highly encourage you to apply and bring your skills to the team!

tldr: Yes I agree and you should apply if you think you are qualified to do this.

3. Kinito

TheRealKinito
    I agree for the most part, but I don't really think cheaters will kill off prison as prison's PVP is relatively dead anyways.
    That's not to say it's not an issue, but I don't believe cheaters will impact prison nearly as much as kit.

4. micunmuted

PLARPS
    At first I thought this was kinda stupid but it is true though most staff don't usually come for pvp sometimes they come for survival but I do agree with this, They can't really tell if people are using reach or not (closet cheaters) and then they never usually get banned. +1 and if you think you can do it you should apply. gl :)

-MicUnmuted

5. MasterChheda

MasterChheda
    Hey bro!

Thanks for making the thread. I definitely understand your concerns, especially with KitPvP as that's the sub-server I main. I think you touched on fair points, but the challenge in actually resolving this issue is two-fold:

(1) Teaching staff more pvp-based mechanics.
    (2) Drawing in players that want to be staff AND would be well suited for staff

For (1), it's quite easy to fix in several ways. We could watch videos, PvP, etc. but the reality is that not everyone on the staff team mains PvP sub-servers nor wants to hop into it. That's for them to decide if they want to actually hop in, PvP, watch videos, etc. There always can be improvements on the staff side of things. I've recommended a few that I won't go into detail with. However, staff isn't just about PvP mechanics (certainly it's an important component). Those who aren't perfect there usually rely on those who do main and understand those features. In that sense, we are a team, and while not everyone can know PvP mechanics, there are many of us who do understand it. Those are typically the people who PvP a lot, SS, or watch videos about it often.

For (2), I 100% agree that having more staff with PvP-mechanic knowledge would help, but again the problem is actually drawing them in while evaluating the other aspects that are important to staff. Detecting hacks is one component of staffing, but there are several others, like knowing the rules, enforcing those rules, helping players across the network, etc. You don't need to be perfect in every area, but you definitely need a certain amount of knowledge in each. In addition, there must be some objective way for us to see that the applicants are qualified, which is why the requirements are the way it is. I'm sure it deters people from applying, but that means only the most determined take shots at entering. That's how I view it.

I hope that shed some light on why it's easier said than done for us to get more staff that understand PvP on a deep level. I wholeheartedly agree that your idea would benefit the team, but we also need well-rounded people.

Now for some insight into why it's difficult to catch closet cheaters:

As staff, we are required to record certain hacks, including hacks you mentioned like Velocity, Reach, and Smooth Aim. The issue with closet cheaters is that our evidence must be sufficient and convincing that the other player is hacking. If there are a couple suspicious hits that could be due to any sort of lag or delay, then we have to assume that that is a factor. This is why, when it comes to closet cheaters, 99% of the time we have to screenshare. We'd rather know for a fact that someone is cheating than base it off of a few hits that definitely look like cheating but could be explained by something else like ping, lag, etc. Now, we hit the issue of why few closet cheaters get banned: there aren't that many SSers on the team. The team itself is already relatively small, and only 7 of us are qualified (under the SS Team) to look for in-depth hacks like closet cheating. Divide this group into their own respective time zones and IRL schedules, and you'll find that sometimes no one is able to screenshare at certain times, hence some people getting away. I can speak for many staff when I say that we do our best to screenshare potential cheaters when people report them, but again our schedules may conflict. For example, I've had someone message me twice about a certain cheater, and since I wasn't able to hop on, I relayed the info to other staff, who likewise couldn't get on to check the player out. This is not meant to excuse the issue, but I hope you can understand that, with a team this size, sadly we do run into issues with checking out closet cheaters. I'm sure you've heard this already, but the best bet is to ask in #support on the Discord, and surely enough some staff member will see it and relay it in staff chat until someone is able to look into it. That's the best we can do right now since it's very difficult to capture sufficient footage of closet cheaters unless they toggle a little too hard.

Again, hope that sheds some light into why we unfortunately deal with closet cheaters slowly, but once we are aware of potential closet cheaters, we do our best to look into it and handle them. I didn't read over this because I think I wrote a little too much, so if something doesn't make sense, let me know. Thanks for the post bro!

Minecraft Central Store | Powered by Xenforo | Minecraft Central Rules
The MCC server is in no way affiliated with Mojang, AB. Nor should it be considered a company endorsed by Mojang, AB.