Warp jacking should be in the rules

Discussion in 'Skyblock General Discussion' started by Syn, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Syn

Syn

Syntaxvgm
    The top player on skyblock, em, had /is warp imp for a long time, but now that's gone.
    That's normal if someone has an account name alphabetically first, it happened to me with /is warp syn causing me to make synaaa. Sorry Syntaursus, people were warping to your island and getting mad at me for not having stuff and changing "my island" =).
    In the above case, I made the account specifically to keep hold of Syn that I had for months while keeping synt to the new player. Also in that case, the player was advertising their full name anyway.

Now for em, someone signed up 2 accounts, Imp0sa and imp0a
    Now you can't /is warp imp, /is warp imp0, or /is warp imp0s

All accounts are default balance, a small warp of quartz has been made on the default island. I've watched people trying to warp imp warp there for a while. Someone clearly did this to warp jack em.

I really think by next season there should be a rule about intentional warp jacking. Not a long punishment, but something to prevent blatant jacking of long existing warp like this (not naturally by someones normal account name). Or there could be a way for staff to alias warps manually when a popular warp is taken like this, ie manually assign just imp to em
    2019-10-06_18.21.45.png
    2019-10-06_18.24.17.png

edit
    /is warp syn now goes to Syntaursus again, not synaaa like it once did, neither of us changed our warps or names. I don't think this is predictably alphabetical either. It's just like looking for the first name that starts with the typed warp on an unsorted list or something.

#1 Syn, Oct 6, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    ray01, iiSean and puposaurus like this.
  2. ray01

ray01
    Hey,

I've had this happen to me too on skyblock 2. The users have to hit tab to fill in your name or they have to type out your full ingame name sadly. Its just happens alot but the tab thing works great if you are using 1.8.9.

Have a great day!!

3. Ankh

Ankh
    ASkyBlock is made to use alphanumerical order when searching for an island with that name, if there is no island that matches the currently typed in one. It's pretty narcissistic of you to try and punish someone for taking advantage of a system that you were abusing in the first place. You should be using your full username for warps anyways.

4. Syn

Syn

Syntaxvgm
    We found out today it indeed doesn't really follow an order rule. You'll notice what first tab autocomplete is isn't what you may warp to.

I've had warps mix order with neither being changed, and imp000 didn't take ems warp back (kinda feel bad for telling her to try that). Also, I tested random names and found it was prioritizing islands not alphabetically first. I looked at the plugin itself, and I couldn't find any sorting for it either. I only found sorting for the list window (/is warps), which by default is sorted by last login

It just matches the fist name it finds that starts with what you typed, and can be a crapshoot on what it finds. Im not 100% on that though, I didn't look at everything but it seemed to be how it worked

However for example, when syntaursus joined, I took back /is warp syn pretty fast by getting synaaa. Month and a half or more ago, without either of us changing our names or breaking/replacing our warps (think he was inactive) it suddenly decided syntaursus was before synaaa again with /is warp syn.

Another bit of empirical evidence I ran across is before em was warp jacked, I signed up a new alt named "impaalimpaa" (like oompa loompa) . I made a warp sign for this account, and immediately took it down because for some reason it warp jacked /is warp imp, which Imp0ssibl3Girl should come before. It does not, however, take priority over the new warps in the OP post which also starts imp0, so it's not a "numbers aren't before letters" thing, otherwise impaalimpaa would take back /is warp imp right now

Finally, earlier I started like warping to is "a" and "ab" and so on, and watched it change who it went to for no reason in one case right before my eyes. In fact right now /is warp a takes me to AmberLorraine's island, even though warps like aalex126 exist.

All said, if it could be made to reliably be alphanumeric sorting, it would make it so having "synaa" or "syn000" would guarantee to a reasonable degree that I have /is warp syn next season, and other players could rename an alt to claim short warps as well.

#4 Syn, Oct 7, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
  5. Ankh

Ankh
    Guess I was wrong about the sorting style, my bad. However, it's still kind of hypocritical to try and punish someone for using the same system you were taking advantage of, don't you think? Like I said, you should be using your full username anyways, this is clearly not how the plugin authors intended for "/is warp"s to work.

6. Syn

Syn

Syntaxvgm
    You're right. I wanted it as a new rule going forward. To be fair, when it happened, they were not advertising "syn", and I had been for a long time. They were advertising their full name, I wouldn't have done it otherwise. A lot of people were messaging me even after I changed my ads to syntax getting mad about me not having the stuff I advertised or changing my island
    I would have been fine with not doing it too.

Also I totally thought it was always alphabetic too until recently, I mean that just makes sense.

7. SilentWhispers

SilentWhispers
    Hello!

As with all programs, theres always some form of search algorithm that functions with a certain set rule. It cant be 'random', if it is, I would be very surprised.

In regards to this problem, I dont think anything much can be done about it this season. It wouldn't be fair to reset someone's island or ban them for having a name close to a popular person. That sounds stupid just thinking about it. Like Ankh said, the plugin clearly isnt designed to be used effectively with abbreviated IGN's.

My suggestion for next season is to introduce island warp aliases. Similar, if not the same as the way the plots plugin works. It will allow for a lot more flexibility with the names ordeal.

~ Silent

Syn likes this.
  8. Syn

Syn

Syntaxvgm
    Yah, kinda why I said next season for a new rule or something, not much can be done now, and if it was a rule I dont mean for it to be something that affects people that happened to be named similar. An alias system would be fine with me too tbh, and much more effective.

9. KierenBoal

KierenBoal
    Unfortunately this has happened to me in the past too.
    I've had many players create alts with similar names; just similar enough to pinch my warp.

Aliases would definitely be the way to go. Not sure how ASkyBlock will actually handle things like that, but I'm sure vislo can work his magic to make it happen.
    I don't think 'warp jacking' will ever be punishable, just due to the way things are. The best way moving forwards would be next season having aliases.

Syn likes this.
  10. Syn

Syn

Syntaxvgm
    It would be cool if we can make them any length and it could like tie in to an island name, not just the leaders name.
    You see, MC doesn't allow "SyntaxAwesomeIslandGreatJob" as an ign, it's too long.
    Ofc that would be a lot of modification.
    But an island name would be cool, esp for teams.

11. iiSean

iiSean_
    Hey!

It is a shame this happens to people especially if it is on purpose by renaming an alternate account.

I am not sure if this is on other servers that isn't MCC but is there a way to set a name like an alias on plots or a warp name ect for each island instead of the first part of their IGN.

If that is possible I think that is the way to go! This would hopefully remove all this inconvinience.

There is no way to see if it is cuisedence or purpose so warp jacking shouldnt be against the rules, just prevented

Have a Nice Day
    All The Best
    ___Sean___
    MCC Community Member

#11 iiSean, Oct 10, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  12. Incarnati0n_

Incarnati0n_
    I think this is a good suggestion in resolving issues over people creating accounts to steal warp names. Its quite annoying when people take names closely resembling your name but then you can't use that warp name.

I think this could be an interesting addition not only limited Skyblock but to other sub servers also.

Thanks, Olli

13. thatblondkidalex

thatblondkidalex
    Maybe the option to create a custom warp of your choosing, not dependant on your username

Minecraft Central Store | Powered by Xenforo | Minecraft Central Rules
The MCC server is in no way affiliated with Mojang, AB. Nor should it be considered a company endorsed by Mojang, AB.