Transphobia and Homophobia in MCCentral

Discussion in 'Server Suggestions' started by officialzing132, Nov 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. officialzing132

zing132
    Hello all,

I am starting this thread on the basis of a report I had created over the use of a transphobic comment (well word used to discriminate) which was unfortunately rejected.

This has made me feel the need to change how things occur within punishments of homophobic and transphobic comments. Such as banning or making it a mutable offence to use the word “Gay” since it’s still used to describe something bad when it’s sexual orientation.

I suggest using a mute system after a warning from staff or helpers (including mentees and other players) and then punishing more severely.

As someone who is not only apart of the LGBTQI+ community but someone who cares about those who are too scared to provide their opinions this is an important discussion to have.

Much thanks, zing132/Zach

Incarnati0n_, kikahh and iiSean like this.
  2. Invader

Hey zing132 !

I personally don't agree with these words being blacklisted. Given the reason as I am personally more bi-sexual/gay, I don't really take offence to such words. If you do take offence to these words, then I'm sorry but you need to figure out a way to take it in a less offensive way. Being Gay, Bi or any sexuality doesn't really give any specific words and/or discriminatory towards users who are/aren't straight/gay. In my opinion, blacklisting the word, "gay", would make the server seem more homophobic then it already is (users that are being discriminatory).

In other words, being gay shouldn't make a difference, and in general, it really doesn't matter. You are, who you want to be, and with that said, I am a major -1 on banning/blacklisting such words from MCC.

iluvu likes this.
  3. officialzing132

zing132
    I agree but the word gay isn't my primary point. its the use of transphobic vocabulary such as Tra**y and other such words which people should be punished for

4. puposaurus

puposaurus
    hello hello what’s up buckerooo. most times using words like that one you had said can get players punished since most times it’s used either in a disrespectful or discriminatory way... which those two are things that can be muted..
    but words like “gay” isn’t as bad if it’s used to describe something... if that makes sense.

as for what you had said in your thread:
    personally, i do agree that disrespectful comments about AnYtHing should be warned at the minimum whether it’s verbal or whatever. And i do not see the word “Gay” as bad... as it is used in many different ways... yes, it can be used to be disrespectful and discriminatory. however, sayinf something like “your mom gay” isn’t disrespect or really muteable... if they were to continue saying it... then it’s up to the staff member to decide if they’d wanna punish that player.
    as for your new “mute system” personally, i think it’s fine how it is. staff can warn, and mentees and other players can chatreport then a staff can make the decision if it’s a muteable offense or not. :)

anywyas. overall, i’m -1 on this, and jus’ your idea of banning/blacklisting words that u had described.. as they’re not really anything explicit or a slur like the “f word”, they’re more like just disrespectful words... but not all disrespectful words are blacklisted.

hope this mentioned all your points.
    have a great day :D

5. iiSean

iiSean_
    The point is yes if you say those words most the times you get muted for discrimination so why not just Blacklist those words? Then it prevents you from being muted instead of getting punished !

6. iluvu

Actually there can often be an allure to a word because it is blacklisted (which is the reason people often filter evade) so removing usage of the word(s) would likely result in a lot more filter evasion punishment than the disrespect punishments that would result from this being allowed, and as the thread has already discussed there are words that get normal, non offensive usage in this supposed list so the blacklisting of them would ultimately hurt more than it helps

iiSean likes this.
  7. iiSean

iiSean_
    Suppose that makes sense.

8. deleteduser

Hey zing!
    I understand where you are coming from as I'm apart of the LGBTQ community.

I'm just here to notify you that early this week I've gone ahead and recommended for the word Tranny to be blacklisted; fortunately for you, starting today the word Tranny has been added to the list of blacklisted words :) PM me on discord if there are other words you believe should be blacklisted. Muel#0210

However people will still be able to use the word trans and transgender.

Have a lovely rest of your day,

- Thread Closed

#8 deleteduser, Dec 1, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Minecraft Central Store | Powered by Xenforo | Minecraft Central Rules
The MCC server is in no way affiliated with Mojang, AB. Nor should it be considered a company endorsed by Mojang, AB.