The IP-Ban System

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by abbs, Jun 22, 2020.

?

Does the IP-Ban System Need an Update?

1. Yes

24 vote(s)
    63.2%
  2. No

14 vote(s)
    36.8%
  1. abbs

Abbskababs
    Hey Guys, So i wanted ask you guys as a community if you can think of solutions to some of the faults in the current IP-Ban system.

Have you ever joined the server one day and found out a large group of players have been banned at the same time? This is most likely because of the IP-Ban system. So atm when someone has 2 or more bans under there IP at one time they will receive an IP-Ban, this can be a problem if said player has shared accounts. So say 20 people are all linked to each other from sharing amongst themselves, and 2 people commit an offence. That would result in all 20 players being banned, While that really sucks the current system rarely will make an exception for the 18 innocent players caught up in the situation.

One of the reasons it is hard for staff to make exceptions is because some times these accounts are linked trough alts which complicates the situation a little. The staff have to almost look at it like these 20 accounts are one person. While a few of these accounts probably are one person there will still be collateral.

So what i'm asking is, you as the community post your ideas for ways that they could separate the innocent players from the ones actually offending.

Just some general guidelines:
    - Solutions would need to be something that would work time and time again.
    - Easy on the staff as they already have a lot to handle
    - It would need to in some way prove ownership of the account.

ImaBucketBoy and GLOCKPRINCESS like this.
  2. xBenz

xBenz
    Hey!

We understand the frustration but that is why announcements and threads were made about NOT to share accounts. When you share accounts, you accept the responsibility of that person breaking rules on it and you may suffer the consequences for it.

In cases where a sibling got the entire household banned, the Senior Team vote with Admins and make a decision if enough proof is given to support that claim and may allow the other siblings to play. This also extends to shared accounts but is very rarely done.

Simple solution is, don’t share accounts or use public alts. We are not responsible for that, it’s your responsibility.

3. Devon

sadsy
    Going off of what xBenz has stated, a lot of people who break the rules aren't going to tell the truth. When it comes down to player getting banned, I'm sure the person who committed the offense isn't going to straight up say that they were the offender when they have a chance of being "innocent." What I'm trying to say is the innocent person and the person who committed whatever punishment the account has contracted are hard to differentiate when it comes to an IP ban. So the main solution to not getting your accounts banned is to NOT share them with ANYONE, and you won't get punished, it's pretty simple. The reason this won't be implemented is because it has been stated to not share accounts in threads, and to keep them to yourselves. If someone asks for an account, it isn't your fault if they cheat, but it is your fault for lending the account.

ThorKingOfAsgard likes this.
  4. Swaggle

Swaggle
    Hello! xBenz is completely right as that's how we deal with IPBans currently. Devon is also correct, as long as you don't share your account with anyone, you'll have a very low chance of getting IPBanned! If we were to update the current IPBan system and include switching up rules and etc. it would probably require a rework of our permissions itself for us to have more access to confirm certain things. It would require a lot more effort than simply switching rules around so we'd be able to properly deal with IPBans with a potential 'new' set of guidelines. For now I think the way IPBans are being dealt with are working well however I definitely know there can be some 'innocent' players that can get caught up in an IPBan situation. I'll list a few things that you shouldn't do to avoid IPBans because they can come from more than just sharing accounts.

- Do NOT use a VPN unless VPN Whitelisted by a Senior Moderator or have special Administrator permission. LOTS of players use VPNs and end up becoming tied to each other which can also cause IPBans. Hackers tend to use these IPs which is why they get banned so easily. The same can apply with using a Public IP address such as your school, store, hotel, etc.
    - Do NOT share accounts. As mentioned above sharing accounts really gets you into a complicated situation. Everything merges together and really every situation varies and we aren't necessarily able take someone's word vs. another as lots of players can tend to lie in attempt to get out of these IPBans. There's a lot of different factors that play into why we have made this rule. This is why we have made a thread regarding sharing accounts + public alts so there's a blanket rule for all players to follow. It makes the whole process less complicated and is an attempt to make everyone's experience better and prevent unnecessary bans.

I really like the 'guidelines' you have come up with! I think if this were to be considered your ideas would prove beneficial for this. I especially agree with looking into the 'ownership' of accounts because right now we aren't able to consider who exactly was on the account, we can only consider the whereabouts of the Minecraft account itself at the time it's banned. For now I personally don't know if our current system will change soon however I wanted to give feedback and offer tips and advice to you and anyone who may be reading this post. Please stay safe when playing MCC! Thank you for making this thread and I look forward to seeing other's feedback! Have a lovely rest of your day.

I'll link the thread below for those who may have not seen it!
    Information Thread | Public Alts and Sharing Accounts

ThorKingOfAsgard likes this.
  5. 1231ksajdk

"Getting banned so easily" Just change your ip in your router settings if your banned

Xermes likes this.
  6. Swaggle

Swaggle
    If you get IPBanned and proceed to log onto another IP with the account in question you will get IPBanned and your account will be permanently banned for IP Ban Evading. What you suggest would be very useful for those who happen to be logging onto an IP that was already banned and it ends up not being under the player’s history.

7. GLOCKPRINCESS

Marbellaa
    i agree with you abbs! too many people are getting false IP banned and it's so hard to get your appeal accepted ++ you have to wait 6 months to appeal. it's really annoying. i understand how maybe you'd IP ban people for multiple accounts with offences such as doxx threats, but like most people have been getting IP banned for stupid mutes and sometimes for false bans as well.

i really agree with you, this is why half of MCC's playerbase is gone.

Xermes and SniikeZ like this.
  8. PistolPet

PistolPet
    Hi there!
    The main issue I see with this is the lack of communication with people who don't follow discord or forums. If you are a "casual" who plays only the server, you will have no clue that this isn't allowed. I've already contacted admins about this but I'll try to make this happen so that in the future, people don't share accounts.

With that being said, others have already stated about people lying, using VPNs and trying to manipulate the system. If better communication with the players of the server happens, I don't think we need to change anything else, as the current system isn't too bad.
    We also have a rule which makes it that if your account shared IPs/accounts over a period of time, the ban doesn't count towards anything anymore which is quite nice.

This is quite a strange topic to talk about because all types of complicated problems and POVs come up when discussing this issue but the ultimate and easy conclusion, follow the rules. It's not only in our rules but equally in Mojangs TOS and general internet knowledge, don't share information as this could lead to stuff like this happening. We're taught that in school, at home and other places for a reason :)
    I hope all of you have a great day!

9. 1231ksajdk

nope, i have been banned around 5 times on diff accounts and i can just come back with a vpn

10. Hey!

As a former Moderator on MCC, I do agree with Abbs on this issue. During my time as Moderator, I have seen many instances where people were banned for being linked, which is something I don't think we should ban for. I think that if you visit your friend's house and one day your friend decides its a good idea to hack, you should not be held accountable. This works with every other multiplayer game. After all, whats the poin't of an online game, if you can be banned for simply playing at a friend's house. I think that there needs to be reworking on the system as a whole. I think it wouldn't be hard to check how many times you were at someone's house. If it's like 5-6 times in a month, you should not be prosecuted. I think that context really should matter to an IP-Ban. Someone banned for having 3 mutes on their IP is not nearly as devastating as someone flying on skywars, ruining everyone's day.

Recrement - Ex MCC Moderator

GLOCKPRINCESS and PistolPet like this.
  11. TwinBlade

i may just be a very old Acient god But I never agree with Bans ever, Personally I check to see what type of human bein they are , if they lie cheat are nasty and cruiel then i Ban or if there actions are evil, Most of the time I think everyone can be forgiven but some are just born or taught to Be petty and nasty its a shame most humans are like this.

12. uncleNO

The IP-Bans on MCC are handed out like subscriptions to former MCC Administrator, QueenMikayla’s patreon. It is quite tragic indeed, considering how both of these lead to consequences being given out by Sir Darky Markey III. These IP-Bans infuriate me quite honestly, but I believe they’re for the better. MCC is obviously doing the best they can in the least important areas of the server with the upmost thought being put into the bettering of the #1 Minigame Server. Best believe though, if you cross sir darky marky III or queenmikayla, you might as well stress test your own IP, cook some scrambled eggs through a porcelain bowl, and change ISPs as you will not step your blocky foot onto the #1 minigame server ever again. Let this thread be a warning.

Edit: I AM WARNING YOU BRO!!!

forgranted likes this.
  13. xBenz

xBenz
    This was recently addressed. The Senior Team + Admin will give exceptions on special occasions with scenarios like this or similar to this.
    It's rare but if you can prove it, you will get the exemption.

Minecraft Central Store | Powered by Xenforo | Minecraft Central Rules
The MCC server is in no way affiliated with Mojang, AB. Nor should it be considered a company endorsed by Mojang, AB.