Dismiss Notice
To celebrate the launch of our KitPvP server, we are hosting a 40% Flash Sale over on our Webstore.

So I Changed my Minecraft Skin to a Black Skin...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by JoaoOssucci, Oct 12, 2020.

1. JoaoOssucci

JoaoOssucci
    Hello, I don't know if you guys know, but I made my own minecraft skin. With the things that have been happening lately, I feel that I needed to do something about and tried to talk/discuss about racism and discrimination. As I already imagined, many people disagree with what I said and hated me for trying to open their eyes to the discrimination and racism that they make, even not realizing it (this is not just about community members, but actually about staff members as well).
    I think making a black version of my skin could be something to show that I support Black people, and at the same time, try to put myself in their shoes, or better, putting myself on their skin.

I had the best intention when I made the skin, but I would like to receive opinions, especially from Black people cause:

- I'm not black myself, actually my dad is, but I don't know if you guys feel like it's an insult as I'm not black and I'm using a Black skin.
    - I'm asking for opinions from Black people, so respect it and respect them as well.
    - You are welcome to comment if you have things to say that are going to contribute with this.

- If you don't have anything good to say, go find another thread to waste your time and reply.

Here's the link to the pictures of my old skin, and this one:
    https://imgur.com/a/8fys5Fv

2. fedham

fedham
  3. JoaoOssucci

JoaoOssucci
    I already support Black Lives Matter, but what I'm trying to explain is about racism and discrimination inside Minecraft and especifically on the server.
    As you might know, everyone can say something like "
    fu** you black nig*** you should die and burn in hell with your race" and not get punished if they do this in /msgf. In my opinion, the server is failing about that and Admins don't care about to change these rules. You can call someone an "ape" in public chat and you will be completely fine, cause staff members think it's not a racial slur/insult.
    I already made suggestions about this and already discussed with many people and staff members about how I disagree with these rules and about how discrimination is okay on the server, so I decided to make a skin intending to support Black people.
    Also: What do you mean by "bat"?

4. fedham

fedham
    OH shit im so sorry I actually thought it was a minecraft bat skin because it looks really similar to a friend's skin who's and actual humanoid version of a bat. Also changing your skin really isn't going to do anything about that issue.

Ahnxious and JoaoOssucci like this.
  5. JoaoOssucci

JoaoOssucci
    Yeah, np...
    I know doing this is not going to do anything about the issue, but I think it might be a way to show (in-game) that I support Black people and BLM. Since the arguments I had were ignored by many people that use to commit discrimination and racism, I decided to change my minecraft skin to show that I support Black people and it might be a way to protest again racist people as well.

6. 4ket

Dude why dont u even need to support black people in minecraft i mean its not even real life tho

7. 4ket

I mean people might judge

8. stampyrhodes

stampyrhodes
    Obviously, racism and discrimination is horrible but at the end of the day this is a Minecraft server I think its best for everyone if we just refrain from talking about these sensitive topics since they could offend other users. I know you have good intentions but this just isn't the right platform to talk about such sensitive topics to prevent arguments and disputes that can get out of control.

JoaoOssucci likes this.
  9. 4ket

But that makes no sense he should make something that defends black people but he is being black and there will be more people that will hate black people

10. JoaoOssucci

JoaoOssucci
    Ok, so?
    People are real, and people play Minecraft. It doesn't mean that cause it's "not even real life" it's okay to be racist on a block game. I'm supporting black people and I'm against racism and discrimination, that if you don't know, it's something common to see in chat. People being racist on a block game is what makes no sense, and people being racist in real life makes no sense as well. I choose to support Black people in Minecraft so I don't understand your point, since people are real and what they say is real.

11. JoaoOssucci

JoaoOssucci
    I completely understand your point, and I wasn't going to make this thread, but after many things I saw and read, I decided to do something about that. It's just a Minecraft Server, but why people need to be racist then? Toxicity, racism and discrimination are common things on the server, so I think we should talk about that even if it's a sensitive topic.
    People should understand racism and discrimination shouldn't be tolerated anywhere, even on a Minecraft Server or a block game.

stampyrhodes likes this.
  12. JoaoOssucci

JoaoOssucci
    Excuse-me?
    "There will be more people that will hate black people"
    Isn't it what I'm fighting against?
    You are definitely sounding like someone racist that would say "No, I'm not racist, I even have a friend that is black"

13. 4ket

But the thing youre doing will change nothing lmao
    change the real life if you want.

14. Eleung_musk

eleung
    Easier said than done tho

fedham likes this.
  15. fedham

fedham
    I think the point people have been trying to pull across is that even if you were trying to show that you personally support BLM, this skin isn't even telling us anything. To most people its probably just going to be a normal skin that happens to a person of color. Again, there are way better ways you can contribute yourself in this fight other than representation via minecraft skin.

16. JoaoOssucci

JoaoOssucci
    Ok, I already understand that, I know changing my minecraft skin won't do anything, but I already did and felt I needed to do that.
    I made threads and suggestions about rules and racism, feel free to take a look and share your opinion if you wish.
    I also replied some threads that people made, so changing my minecraft skin is not the only thing I did.

17. ThiccBooty

ThiccBooty
    Seems more like a bit of virtue signalling to me. You're free to have your skin as whatever you want - there's no need to make a forum thread about it. I've not once seen genuine racism go unpunished on MCC. It's one of the things that the staff team seem to be the most on top of.

18. JoaoOssucci

JoaoOssucci
    No, I don't think so.
    "I've not once seen genuine racism go unpunish on MCC"
    Are you playing on the same MCC I am playing?
    You can literally say any kind of discrimination and racism on /msfg or party chat and you will be completely fine and unpunish.
    Then, you will say: "Oh, but you can just /friend remove the person" yeah, but it won't remove everything they said, and they won't be punished for that. And no, it's not what staff team are on top of. There are some staff members that really fight against this, but most of them just don't care.
    How saying Hypixel's IP worst than being racist?
    I can call you an "ape" now, and not get punished cause it's not considered a racism insult by the staff team.
    The truth is that everyone prefer to close their eyes for these things cause it's easier than fight against these things.
    Being racist on 2020 is the new sexy, just don't be that explicit...

19. ThiccBooty

ThiccBooty
    You can say ANYTHING on /msgf and not get punished for it. That has absolutely nothing to do with racism. The command is not monitored in any way, they don't just specifically choose to ignore people being racist.

If you add a racist person as a friend, and they start messaging you racist things - remove them as a friend. There's not always going to be a perfect filter for things like this, but the majority of people aren't going to have their lives ruined because they had to read a racist word on a Minecraft server - a community which is already known to be full of toxicity.

Also, calling someone an 'ape' is not racist? An ape is an animal known to be the less-inteligent forefather of humans. If you hear the word 'ape' and think of a black person, or racism, then that sounds like a problem with your way of thinking - not the insult itself.

You're entitled to change your Minecraft skin to whatever you want, provided it is within the rules of the server you're playing on.
    You're welcome to support any cause you like, for whatever reason you like, as well.

But you don't have to make a forum thread dedicated to it. Absolutely nothing productive could have / can possibly come of this. People don't want politics shoved down their throats while they're trying to play video games. And if that wasn't your intention, then you should have changed your skin and been happy with your support to the cause you're trying to support.

20. JoaoOssucci

JoaoOssucci
    No, you CAN'T say anything on msgf and not get punished. You can't DDOS/DOX Treats, Leak personal information, say Hypixel IP... this kind of stuff. But being racist is completely fine. Anyways...
    Search on Google the origins of the ape insult and whether it's racist or not.
    I decided to make the thread and already explained my reasons. If you didn't like/agree, you can just ignore instead of criticizing it.
    I didn't mean to make a politics discussion on this thread, just try to make people see beyond the server, the problems it has, and reflect about it.
    Also, the Skin on the title, was something to make more people see the thread and give their opinions, not something just to show that I changed my minecraft skin.

Minecraft Central Store | Powered by Xenforo | Minecraft Central Rules
The MCC server is in no way affiliated with Mojang, AB. Nor should it be considered a company endorsed by Mojang, AB.