[Creative] Economy

Discussion in 'Server Suggestions' started by icybabe, May 8, 2020.

1. icybabe

icybabe
    [​IMG]
    Hello, before I really get into what a creative "economy" could look like, I want whoever is reading this to understand that a server economy is not as complex as the word may make it seem. This concept isn't a concrete plan and can be adapted and customized as the server sees fit. (ps. I also want to make this read fairly easy so I won't fill it with a bunch of unnecessary text.)

So what is an economy?

An economy in the creative server is simply the introduction of in-game currency.

What's the benefit then?

There are numerous things that an economy can add that provides an incentive for players to continuously play. Personally, I am a builder so I enjoy creative simply for creative. However, I do know a good handful of people that like to roleplay, own shops, and sell builds and an economy would provide them a huge incentive to play. Heres why:

- Allows players to sell rares, heads, banners, etc. for in-game currency and thus promotes shops.
    - Allows players to build houses, infrastructure, etc. for in-game currency.
    - Allows players to sell plots to other players looking to expand on their current plot/project.
    - Introduces player-controlled lotteries, where players bet their money.
    - Allows in-game currency as a prize for skin competitions, build competitions, etc.
    - Creates competition if a /baltop is introduced (A baltop shows the players with the highest in-game currency on the server).

This idea is great! How do we start a non-existing economy?
    This is the hard part of this suggestion. How does the server introduce an economy that previously did not exist? There is a few ways to go about this (and if you have any suggestions please leave a comment!):

- Voting would give x amount of in-game currency (on creative) per vote link.
    - Ranks could receive a monthly bonus of in-game currency (creative).
    - Give every player x amount (regardless of rank) to stimulate it.

In my eyes, this can be beneficial for the server because it promotes voting and potentially another incentive to donate and/or play more!

That's about it!
    Now, that's essentially the premise of the whole "Creative Economy" concept. It again can be adapted as the server sees fit, so please leave any suggestions below for me to add/remove! It may seem like such a little thing to add to the creative server but in my opinion, it will create such a big difference in the gameplay for creative players!

icybabe

#1 icybabe, May 8, 2020
    Last edited: May 9, 2020
    happiey and bratphobic like this.
  2. creeper7777777

creeper7777777
    Hello! There have been numerous occasions in creative where an economy would be very useful! Currently, the only form of economy is heads and sometimes banners. These are what is given to the winners of skin comps, for example. However, the problem is, there's no fair way to give out money on creative. Getting it from ranks isn't fair to people without ranks, and getting it from voting doesn't sound very great either. You can't get it from playing on the game for the longest, because people will just AFK their alt accounts. If they implemented an economy, it couldn't have anything to do with blocks, since anyone can get infinite amounts of any block.

I think having an economy in creative would be great, although there's no way to make it happen unfortunately. If they find some fair way, though, I'd love to see it!

icybabe likes this.
  3. bratphobic

bratphobic
    this seems like such a great idea! also thanks for the help on ur last reply about how to make/add signatures on the forums! loved the tips.

icybabe likes this.
  4. Rev3rse

Rev3rse
    I think the addition of an economy in Creative would definitely be beneficial. I like the idea that an economy can foster collaboration, as players may be more willing to build with others if they are getting paid. This hones well to the intent of the Creative server. However, I have some concerns as well. An economy may lead to players scamming, which would need to be enforced and could lead to a decrease in morale among Creative players. Additionally, adding ChestShops, etc. may shift the focus of Creative from building to becoming more of a profit-based gamemode. For example, players wouldn't value the mission of creating beautiful plots as much as getting rich off of having a popular shop on the server. Again, with this comes chat spam of advertising shops, etc.

icybabe likes this.
  5. SpaceAcademy2

Honestly I Don't Really Want Economy In Creative Because Im Sure 90% of Economy Would Be Scams,Trolls Etc Etc.
    And It Ruins The Point of Creative The Point Is To Build And If It Gets Enabled People May Not Build And Pay Others Or Even Get Scammed And The Goal Would Not To Build An Amazing Build
    But To Get Rich Or Scam Id Definitely Quit If This Happened

6. Swinger

Swinger
    I'm more against the idea of a creative economy. Since Survival has become economy-focused (and even that was controversial), it's been nice to have Creative be the single non economy related subserver. It's relaxed, and there's a very clear focus on building and being creative, which is the entire purpose of the server. Adding an economy would definitely take away from that purpose, no matter how you want to spin it. It just enourages head shops and the stockpiling of heads by making it a competition (which I know is a lot of players' schtick, but shouldn't be openly encouraged because of the lag head-filled plots cause). Creative shouldn't be inherently a competition, unless it's a MCC-run plot contest which is actively working to foster creativity.

The other big problem with this is that the only economic stimuli is voting and buying ranks. The idea's you suggest are all dependent on those two things. With Survival's introduction of an economy, you at least have spawners and farming; Creative has nothing like this. Like Creeper7777777 has said, there's no exchange there to be made, because no items are earned.

7. Elecctricc

Elecctricc
    I must say this is a creative idea...
    It would be cool to introduce a economy system I reckon - I play creative quite a bit and trying to find the right head for my build or such can sometimes be a little annoying, adding a system for a player to benefit from "selling" a head and whatnot would certainly rise the player interaction in creative as there are points in time when the chat is a little slow from people focusing on builds.

I think it's a good idea however as @Swinger said; the possible lag from many more people trying to sell their items could become a problem. And the difficulty of trying to monetize items in a creative server is much more difficult than someone would expect - maybe the player could get access to more commands for world edit/ a new plugin? There's no incentive to really buy items in a creative server unless it rewards the player quite substantially in my eyes.

- Elecctricc.

icybabe likes this.
  8. Tennente

Tennente
    Hello!
    I find this idea really interesting and it could attract more players to this sub-server. However, I can't see how this economy would work.
    Resources are unlimited in creative mode, so a currency tied to any items that you can easily take from invetory would not make any sense. I know you were not talking about those, but if you already have one item such as a banner or a head (that you suggested and would be some interesting items to sell), you could have an infinite amount of those items, so the problem would be the same, an infinite currency with no real value. The server could do something about it, but if that was the case, the products with the highest value in this economy system would not be the most sought after (as it should be), but those that were decided by the staff.

Again, the idea is interesting but wanted products would be needed. For exemple, you can buy/sell plots, but how can you make money? If there are real and wanted produtcs in this economy, then it should be fine. You can earn money by selling stuff and doing things and you can also buy stuff you would like have/be. This is how an economy works (even in minecraft).

So, of course there can't be anything bought by the server, or else people would work in order to sell those products and make money, but they could be easily rich by selling unproductive stuff, which would inflate the currency and would disadvantage the newest players.

These are pretty much my thoughts. Although I like the idea, I think it would be really difficult implement it unless they find some wanted produtcs.
    Thanks for suggesting it, peace!

9. icybabe

icybabe
    Regarding items/products. Lots of people including myself enjoy solely building on Creative. However, sometimes I want to build a massive project such as a city and the plot beside me is owned by someone else. By introducing an economy, it would give that player an incentive to sell his plot for money (and thus use the money as he pleases).

If you haven't experienced servers with a creative economy, this concept can be very hard to grasp and understand. In reality, this can be easily executed and have little issues that would affect the server as people can simply disregard the economy if they don't like it.
    First, I'd like to address the concern of scamming. In past servers I have played with this style of economy, scamming isn't quite frequent. Sure, it may happen by new players but I don't see it discouraging many. Prison, Factions, Etc. all have a crazy amount of scamming/death traps and still manage to have consistent players (and from what I've seen more engagement in chat). I can't speak of if scamming in creative should be punishable (as I don't make the rules) but in reality, losing money on Creative isn't as big of a deal as let's say Factions because it's not vital to the game mode itself.

Again, if people don't like the economy they can simply ignore its commands and focus on building!
    I want to counteract some claims made from this. With the addition of an economy, everyone is assuming that the server as a collective will jump the bull to begin making a profit. This is not the case. Many players won't even utilize the economy as they simply just want to play Creative to build. However, lots of current head shop/rare owners and builders will utilize this economy effectively. It gives us something that the server is missing. I don't believe that introducing an economy will cause everyone to begin to make their own headshops and sell products. I do believe that it will provide current headshop/rare owners to provide a product for in-game currency.

Build competitions, skin competitions, etc. could have an actual desirable prize and thus encourage community interaction and involvement.

icybabe

Tennente likes this.
  10. icybabe

icybabe
    In conclusion (for anyone I quoted above), the introduction of an economy comes with people who enjoy the idea and despise it. The beauty of a creative economy is that if you don't like it, you can simply ignore it! It provides the best of both worlds for both parties as to the ones that enjoy it can utilize it to its full extent, while people who condemn it can simply ignore it and go about their day.

icybabe​

Minecraft Central Store | Powered by Xenforo | Minecraft Central Rules
The MCC server is in no way affiliated with Mojang, AB. Nor should it be considered a company endorsed by Mojang, AB.