Clarifications on "Discrimination"

Discussion in 'Server Suggestions' started by Ally McConic, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Ally McConic

I've undergone many appeals, a staff report and discussions with admin and moderators all because of a small, but reasonable dispute over a mute I received due to some "discriminative" language I had used.

The change I'd like to suggest is to create a server allocated definition as it is apparent that the server does not use the one provided by the Oxford dictionary.

discrimination: "the unjust or prejudicial treatment of different categories of people, especially on the grounds of race, age, sex, or disability."

In the rules, it gives no examples nor clarification as to what is considered "discrimination" and through conversations with mods on the server, all definitions have been based on personally developed definitions.

I'd like for an official definition to be issued by the rule creators so that this lack of order can be removed.

2. notaspleen

notaspleen
    Hello Ally McConic,
    I understand why it may be helpful to have more clearly defined definitions of rules, as doing so could help give clear, objective standards for what counts as a chat offense. I do not know how the current chat offense rules came to be, but one reason I could imagine for keeping it slightly ambiguous is that it is impossible to think of every single case which could be considered a chat offense. The rules contain some examples, these are not the only possible examples (as is said on the rules page). In general, making an inflexible list of what is a chat offense could lead to chat behavior which would be undesirable on MCC and break the general spirit of the rules.

Now to discrimination specifically, as this is the character of your mute. Using the Oxford Dictionary definition of discrimination to guide what you say on MCC is perfectly acceptable, and if you do so I guarantee you will not get muted for discrimination. I have seen what you said, and I won't discuss your specific case as it has already been discussed at length privately, but I will say that if you avoid saying something negative about someone because of their race, sex, or disability, you will avoid getting muted for discrimination.

Xermes, fedham, Tether and 5 others like this.

Minecraft Central Store | Powered by Xenforo | Minecraft Central Rules
The MCC server is in no way affiliated with Mojang, AB. Nor should it be considered a company endorsed by Mojang, AB.