Dismiss Notice
To celebrate the launch of our Skyblock reset, we are hosting a 40% Flash Sale over on our Webstore.

add command /spec to staff members

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tennente, Jun 21, 2020.

1. Tennente

Tennente
    Pretty much everyone knows how reports work in #support on the MCC Community discord. Basically, the players tell the staff members general hackers' IGNs. If it is a helper, they try to record them, and if it is a Moderator+ they go after the hacker and ban them. This system is actually good, however, it could get much better if staff members could do /spec [IGN] and watch them playing minigames, just like you can do on Arena PVP. I feel like this improvement is needed because sometimes staff members can't or ban find some specific hackers, especially those who know the staff team and toggle off when they see staffers.
    I think that the staff's job would be easier and faster if they add this command and I don't think it could cause any problems.

Fatyl likes this.
  2. Devon

sadsy
    To be honest, I thought about this and it's a good idea. I don't know why it's not implemented, and you can't think of any drawbacks at a first glace. I don't wanna think too deep into this so I'm just going to agree with you. It would be easier than having to hope to queue up with another hacker just so a helper/mod can get evidence and record/ban that player. This is a good.

Tennente likes this.
  3. Fatyl

That sounds like a great idea, but you gotta remember they'd have to get a developer to code it, or pay for the plugin to do so. Wouldn't it be cheaper to just do /vanish, and I wouldn't be surprised if moderators+ have access to joining peoples games. If that's not the case /spec sounds awesome, and like a super great idea!

Tennente likes this.
  4. Devon

sadsy
    Mods and all staff members cannot vanish in minigames, so the use of /vanish is not useful against most cases (skywars/minigames). Saying this, /spec would be another awesome point because a lot of HaCkErS are aware of staffs usernames. It is true that they'd have to have a dev add this, but it would be a good implementation for finding and catching people who break the rules.

Fatyl likes this.
  5. Fatyl

Didn't know about that! Nonetheless great idea/suggestion, enjoy your day!

6. creeper7777777

creeper7777777
    Hello! Obviously this should be implemented, and hopefully they'll add it with the minigames update that should be coming soon. While it will likely involve rewriting a large portion of the minigame system code to allow a player to teleport into another game while invisible, and not announce their name, I still believe that it can be done. It will efficiently ban hackers, as many of them are quite blatant. When someone says a hacker ign on discord, if staff could teleport immediately, the hacker can be banned in seconds.

However, the question I would like to bring to the table is, should players be able to use the /spec command like staff can? In my opinion, they should. There won't always be a staff member available to spectate hackers, so any player who can take evidence should have that opportunity. Besides, any extra evidence is always helpful if they try to appeal and say they didn't do it. However, while it's a great thing if hackers, especially blatant ones, get banned within 20 seconds of their name being announced on #support, it means less player reports for those who record during games. This can affect things like helper application requirements, so those should be re-evaluated if this is implemented. Players will get less hacker reports if the hackers are banned quickly. Another downside to this is, players can ghost for each other like they can on UHC. For example, a player could say exactly where a player is hiding and what armor they have on survival games or speedy walls.

Ultimately, while a /spec command would be great, there is more to consider. I'd still say +1, though, as it would guarantee better gameplay, at least in minigames with a lot of hackers, like skywars.

Tennente likes this.
  7. Swinger

Swinger
    I really like the idea of a /spec command. It seems like the natural next step for the Discord #support system in terms of letting the staff team respond to people dropping hacker's names in the channel. Ideally, the command would teleport you directly to the player as a spectator for easy recording/banning. I also think it would work really well in tandem with a /report system, so hopefully we see at least one of the two in a future minigames update.

I don't think a /vanish command would be worth it in minigames; it just seems a bit overkill. A /nick would be a much more natural (and easier to implement) fix to staff members being recognised in-game. Either way, Alex and Vislo are very capable coders.
    I'm against normal players being able to use the /spec command. I'm even tempted to say that /spec should be restricted to mod+ given that helpers can't ban, but I think with the helper report system it's still useful for us to have. When you think about it, the /spec command isn't going to change the time it takes to ban drastically. The hackers dropped in #support are almost always going to be banned in-game by a mod, not through reports. There's enough staff members on the team now to ensure that over almost every time zone.

Extra non-staff players using the /spec function to jump around minigames also does a few extra things; it puts more strain on the backend, and it makes targeted harassment much, much easier. If you can hop into someone's game as a spectator, you can bug them in chat on their death, and you can almost guarantee you join the same lobby as them when they move on to a different game. Giving everyone that ability is just going to make the server less player friendly.

Fatyl and Tennente like this.

Minecraft Central Store | Powered by Xenforo | Minecraft Central Rules
The MCC server is in no way affiliated with Mojang, AB. Nor should it be considered a company endorsed by Mojang, AB.