Mute Time decreased by report hackers - Discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Charlie Richardson, Jan 4, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charlie Richardson

Good Evening All,

An idea I have been considering for a while now is the ability to reduce your mute time by reporting hackers.

My idea is that if a member is muted and they wish to reduce their punishment time, they should have the option to make 10 successful hacker reports for a reduced sentence. This to me seems like a good way to increase reports of hackers in games.

Obviously the number of successful hacker reports that need to be made, as well as how much reduced time they get on their punishment is up for debate.

What do you guys think? Will this work? Is it dumb? Feel free to add,

Regards,
    Charlie.

Abar, iluvu and Ezgle like this.
  2. Pznda

Pznda
    Good Idea. Just like community service really.

3. Timppali

Timppali
    I don't think that this kind of system would work. There are multiple issues that I see with the idea, starting from even the need for this kind of system. I don't think that we need something that reduces the mute duration.

If we were to add this kind of system, it wouldn't be easy to decide how much the mute should be reduced. Mutes have different lengths, so I guess it would have to be a percentage. Also for the shorter mutes (or even mutes that are several days), it wouldn't really be that easy to get enough hacker videos AND wait for them to be reviewed. It might take a while for Reports Team to read it, and then it could already be too late.

Who would keep count of how many reports someone has sent and where? How would the Reports Team know that the hacker video that the player has sent should count towards the limit of 10 (or some other number)? I think that it's not worth it to set up systems for this, as I don't see a big benefit from doing something like this.

I personally think that appealing should be the only way to get rid of a mute. From the practical point of view adding a system for all of this would be a big task and require automation. That's why I'm saying no.

4. Pznda

Pznda
    Yeah true, it would put an even bigger work load on staff

5. Ezgle

Seems like a good way to get more people reporting hackers, god knows we need more people too.
    Obviously a few rough patches to file down, but overall I'd say good idea.

iluvu likes this.
  6. Incarnati0n_

Incarnati0n_
    I feel like this may only potentially work for people who have longer mutes. People who have short mutes for maybe a few hours to a day would probably be unmuted before their reports are accepted.

Thanks, Olli

7. W5vil

W5vil
    Another problem with this is what if you have a perm mute. BY reporting 1 hacker, how much time gets taken off. For example, if every hacker report is 1 day off. Let's say I was perm muted. And I reported 5 hackers. My question is, what is forever - 5 days? xD
    For me, I'm a -1 for this idea.
    Have a good day!
    -W5vil

Tiny_kittykat likes this.
  8. Charlie Richardson

The idea I had was, a muted person has an option to appeal or report hackers.

If they choose the second option a staff member could review their mute (how long, what it was for) and determine how many hackers need to be reported for the mute to be decreased. My idea wasn't for (1 hacker reported = certain amount of time off) It was a staff replies for example, "if you successfully report 30 hackers you get a reduction from perm ban to 6 month ban."

Meaning if you reported 29 hackers successfully, nothing happens. But when you reach the criteria you were given, a staff member could re-review your case and adjust the punishment accordingly.

9. Montilou

Montilou
    Hey,

I don't believe this would be a good addition to MCC. On top of all of the issues pointed out above, I also want to point out that if somebody really does change over the length of their mute, and they really regret what they did, their appeal would probably be pretty good since it would most likely be a heartfelt apology. Even if someone does change, they do have to face the consequences of their previous actions. I don't think it's a good idea to give players a system that gives them time off of their mute, because players will then probably just think that they can just get unmuted by doing a couple reports, and start neglecting chat rules. Personally, I believe that there are rules set in place to make the server the least toxic possible, and they should be respected at all times.

Have a good day!

10. Timppali

Timppali
    I'd also like to point out that the current punishment system doesn't allow mutes to be shortened, so it would have to be changed too. That's why I think that there isn't really any chance for this system to be added.

puposaurus likes this.
  11. Kane

Kane
    Not only a few rules would have to be changed for the new rule to be implemented, but this will also put an immense work on staff and it would be too complicated. Currently, only the reports team could view players reports, but what if the staff member who punished the player was not on the reports team? How will the staff be able to track how many reports the player made? The work that needs to be put in order for this idea to work is a lot compared to the output we will get if that makes sense. This idea has a lot of flaws and the cons outweigh the pros; thus, I do not think that this idea would be implemented anytime soon.

#11 Kane, Jan 5, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
    Incarnati0n_ likes this.
  12. Hulah

Hulah
    Seems like a good way to get more people reporting hackers, god knows we need more people too.
    Obviously a few rough patches to file down, but overall I'd say good idea.

13. PumahKITPVP

sadweeks
    Make this only for perm mutes

14. Tiny_kittykat

ToastGhostTea
    I personally like the idea, But as mentioned it does have some flaws. Maybe instead of decreasing a punishment given to you at the time, every 20- reports accepted (random number) Your Offence goes down by 1, So instead of normally being on your 5th (3day mute) offence you go back down to 4th, (2day mute). But this system would only really work on the severity 1 mutes.

15. Abar

Abar
    I don't agree w/ this idea. I think that if you know the rules and are aware of them, there is no reason that you should be getting muted in the first place. I understand that some of the newer players may not realize that what they are doing is punishable, but I feel like doing the time helps people learn from their mistakes. Even though helping the community is always a good thing, it shouldn't take away from a mistake that you've made. This isn't a horrible recommendation though it just doesn't seem like the best fit for the server in my opinion. Thanks and have a wonderful week!

puposaurus likes this.
  16. HH_Captain

publicy
    I do like this idea very much and I feel the increase of reporting would be higher but the player could rather appeal apologetically and kindly and be unmuted instead of spending their time finding hackers.

Thanks,

HH_Captain

17. fouffy

fouffy
    Timppali mostly said what I was thinking while reading this post. In my opinion though, rules are rules and if you break them, you should wait it out. Now sometimes the rules can for sure be too strict in which hopefully appealing it will help. I like the thought you were giving however. I do understand why you would think this is a good idea, however there would just be more cons than pros in this case.

puposaurus likes this.
  18. Ezgle

Just from my point of view, I would rather have "disrespectful" players than outright hackers.

19. Timppali

Timppali
    I'm going to lock this thread, even though the players who have commented say that it would be a good idea. The reason why it's not going to happen is that it would require a total revamp of how the mutes work, total revamp of the appeal system, a new system for tracking how many reports someone has sent and also new guidelines and threads. This is way too much work for something that may not even be used by that many players. The idea is a bit controversial to begin with.

You need to always keep in mind the practical point of view when commenting on ideas. You need to really think what kind of changes are needed to implement the idea. In this case I think most of the players who have commented aren't familiar with the current system or don't know how to even make a system like this. It's not as easy as it sounds. :)

- Thread Locked

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Minecraft Central Store | Powered by Xenforo | Minecraft Central Rules
The MCC server is in no way affiliated with Mojang, AB. Nor should it be considered a company endorsed by Mojang, AB.