Get rid of kits in Survival Games and you'll have a great mode.

Discussion in 'Server Suggestions' started by FinnsChips, Oct 28, 2020.

1. FinnsChips

SG could be a lot of fun, everything about it is really well done, except for kits. Kits in general completely defeat the purpose of the gamemode, but also gives only experienced players an advantage, and a major one. It neglects the 90% of players who want a balanced and fun mode for the 10% who win almost by default, and in almost every scenario are unkillable. For the life of me I cannot understand who decided kits in a mode like this were a good idea, it just doesn't work.
    If credits were used for SG-specific customisation or something similar which didn't give a blatant advantage to players in the mode that would be much more reasonable, because right now I can't see the fun in the mode for either party. Those without kits will be massacred with ease, and those with kits are winning without any effort, the end result is a boring game for everyone. It's a shame that a mode which is otherwise so well made is ruined by this simple thing.

2. Ankh

Ankh
    I'll admit the perks are pretty overpowered. I've played on a few rookie alts until they were leveled enough to afford the tier chests. I can say I didn't win nearly as much, but I still won games. The tier chests can only give you so much, if you have a couple good chest routes then you're pretty much set. In the end it all just comes down to experience and luck. And levels. Enchantments are overpowered as fuck mate lol.

nouhs likes this.
  3. FinnsChips

I have won a few games, but in a mode like this there's no excuse for giving people a blatant advantage like those that kits give. It ruins the purpose of the mode, I can't understand why they're added to a mode like this. It's like playing PUBG and being automatically given a level 3 bag and 3 guns at the start of every game while everyone else is left to play the game properly.

4. _Noxid

_Noxid
    There aren't really "kits" in survival games. Other servers have full-on kits that will take you some time to unlock or even buy with real money. There are the tier chests that I'm sure you're talking about, but they're quite different.

Tier chests have been nerfed a lot since they came out. The tier 3 chest used to give a diamond chest plate, diamond legs, or a diamond helmet. Now it only gives a helmet.
    Not only that, but usually tier chests never give too much anyway. They aren't as OP as they used to be.

Now a few things I do think need to be removed/changed are compasses. I consider it quite stupid that you need bedrock rank to get a compass. They need to rather be removed or made public.

I would like to see vanilla survival games though, which means no perks at all. I want to have those fights for chests at mid again.

5. FinnsChips

Regardless of how powerful kits are, they're still offering a blatantly unfair advantage to players who already have the advantage of significantly more experience in the mode, and likely better ping. I would kill to start every game with a bow and three arrows, or a piece of diamond armour, or even some bread, often finding any sort of weapon, food or armour is incredibly hard, and just handing them to players on a silver platter is absurd in every way.
    In a mode where any sort of gear makes the difference between winning or dying, loot shouldn't be given automatically every single game to only the most experienced players.

6. Ankh

Ankh
    I'm assuming you need to work for and earn this backpack, so they are very similar to the tier chests in a sense. You need to work to get them. Same as you need to work to get the credits to unlock the tier chests. It follows the same progression as almost any other game. You play more, you get better stuff.

7. Ankh

Ankh
    100% relying on the tier chests is just asking to be screwed over lmao. They never give you the things you need when you need them. I once even got absolutely no weapons or armor from all 3 tier chests, aside from leather boots and the 100% guaranteed helmet. This is why I usually still go for mid chests, or break off towards a chest route that I know. Compared to a chest route with 10+ chests or getting like 3 kills, the loot from the tier chests is nothing. Unless you have freak luck and get full iron armor and a stone sword from your tier chests. Then that's annoying.

8. FinnsChips

Yes, in this scenario you would have to work towards it, spend a lot of time in the game, learning the maps and the mechanics, already giving yourself an advantage over new players, by the time you have enough for that backpack and the guns you're already very experienced and shouldn't need to rely on what are essentially cheats. The progression of "play more, get better stuff" can work, for example, in single player games that's essentially the way they all work. In multiplayer games it only works if you're put with others who are also given better stuff, otherwise it's ruining the fun of the vast majority of players so that a few people with a blatant advantage can go on a killing spree. In a game like minecraft that's difficult to do, which goes back to why kits in this mode are an awful addition. People who use kits are ruining the mode for most players so they can have their own fun, there's no two ways about it.

9. FinnsChips

I seriously doubt anybody using tier chests are 100% relying on them to win, they still have the ability to get stuff from normal chests, so they aren't losing anything, and like I've said earlier in this thread, even a simple diamond helmet is godlike gear for those of us who don't use kits, getting one at the start of every game would be insanely useful. If getting no weapons or armour from all chests has only happened once that means that every single other time you have been given those, which again, a single stone sword or axe at the beginning of the game is legendary, most games I won't find anything stone. You aren't losing anything by using kits, you're only gaining, and in a mode like this nobody should have any advantage. It's not fun for the kit user, it's not fun for the people who have to play against them, it is a detriment to the mode with no positives.

10. Andiesgames

Andiesgames
    If you vote daily and play some skywars or CTF to get credits, then it takes 7 days to get a tier III chest. It is not OP, so I don't think that it need to be removed. They are nice if you play a lot and have credits, but it is the same for the other minigames. If you just play and vote then you can get any kit in 7-10 days. I'm sorry, but that is the whole purpose of the server, other server ave the same idea but on some server you need to play several months to get a good kit. I think MCC did already so much to make the kits better and cheap. And yes, if they are removed, then you lose your credits and your kits, and some players played a long time to get kits. If you just play a bit and have a kit then you understand this.

Like you said above, "play more, get better stuff" , that is already the case, that is just what kits are.

Two weeks ago, I played survival games after a very long time, and yes, I wanted that tier III chest. I started to vote and I grinded kills and wins on Skywars, after just 7 days I got the kit, but even if you don't play you get it in 10 days. If you want that kit, then just grind and vote. Then you can buy it for yourself if you want.

There is no reason to remove them at all.

11. FinnsChips

There is a major reason to remove them, they make the mode worse. They have no benefits to bettering the mode whatsoever, and simply make it unbalanced and less fun for all parties. I have played enough to be able to afford kits but I refuse to buy them because I don't want to ruin the mode for other players. I'm sure that if they were removed that a refund system of some sort could be put in place, I don't doubt the abilities of the server owners to implement that. The "play more, get better stuff" rule is absent from many multiplayer games because it is blatantly unfair, and the games with that sort of system will be built around continuing to make it fair despite those upgrades to certain people, this mode doesn't have that, it has people who are simply better than others, with no balancing to fix that.

I believe the server could cope with having a mode without kits, I'd say that removing kits would even improve player numbers in the server as a whole, because if you look at the wider population looking for a survival games server, the vast majority also hate kits and will avoid servers which have them, however unfortunately there are no large enough servers which offer kit-free survival games.

12. Ankh

Ankh
    If you've spent a lot of time in the game learning the mechanics and getting more experienced, you're going to have an advantage regardless of if you get chests or not, simply because of the experience gap. That's like me going up against Huahwi, Technoblade, Dream and BajanCanadian. Don't even need to fight to know who the winner will be (me, obviously lol). If you take the time to learn the pvp mechanics as well as the maps and chest locations, then the tier chests are just a small addition.
    Not saying that kits should stay, I'd be all for removing them as well (if they ever added actual chest tiering in maps like MCSG). I'm simply saying they're not as overpowered as you claim them to be. Yes they do give an advantage but it's not game-deciding.

Diamond helmet is literally only 1 armor point up from an iron helmet (that's half a chestplate on the armor bar in hud). Not a game breaking advantage. Also because literally anyone can kill someone who has the tier 3 chest and get it themselves without paying the 5000 credits.

Never said it has only happened once lmao, was just giving the most extreme example. I only get a weapon from tier chests like 40% of the time, and 99% of that is a wood axe. Or I get full iron armor and no weapon then spend the entire game getting chased. The rest of the time I simply play the game normally and look for chests, like everyone else. Like I said I'd be down for removing kits/enchants and making a strictly vanilla sg experience like MCSG, but for now there is tier chests, so gotta deal with it. If they have them as options you better believe I'm going to take advantage of them.

#12 Ankh, Nov 2, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2020

Minecraft Central Store | Powered by Xenforo | Minecraft Central Rules
The MCC server is in no way affiliated with Mojang, AB. Nor should it be considered a company endorsed by Mojang, AB.