why arent my melons growing

Discussion in 'Skyblock General Discussion' started by Tcay, Jul 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tcay

ive been sitting AFK for more then 2 hours and they still havent grown since yesterday (IRL) so idk whats up with my melons, is there a fix? the rest have grown its just these. here is a picture.

2. sadbaby

sadbaby
    Hey there!

There's nothing you can do about that issue. I believe it's a minecraft bug and some melons simply don't grow.
    That happens in my island too and we've tried everything to make them grow but it just doesn't happen. If I were you I would probably add more light and see if it works but I honestly don't think it will.

3. kcarew98

Hi Tcay!
    I don't think there's a bug, 1.8.9 (server backend) is pretty stable. It's best to check all the requirements needed for melons to grow.

The main culprit is usually light. The melon crops need sufficient light to grow a melon block. This is often inhibited by players building above their melon farms, especially multi story melon farms. If you attached a screenshot of your melon farm, we'd be able to better assess the situation.
    Melons need a hydrated farmland block for the melon crop, as well as an adjacent dirt/grass block beside the melon crop to spawn the melon block. Have you got this? Again a screenshot would help a lot.

Try breaking a couple of your melon crops and replanting them. If the crop isn't growing, it's probably a lighting issue, but if the crop grows but the melon block never spawns, then it's probably something else, like not having a free dirt block beside it.

Hope this helps! Feel free to message me on discord (kcarew98#1850) if you still can't figure it out, or catch me in-game on skyblock one!

4. DjDior

If I were you I would farm something else because it just sounds like a waste of time for a suppose glitch that happened. Also what these other people are saying is also true as they need to be hydrated so maybe that's the problem.

5. Calder

I believe if you light up your whole entire farm, they will grow. Like this image here. The whole line right next to the melons are lit up so that allows no space for lighting issues.
    I also play in 1.8.9 but I don't have this issue unless there is a tiny tiny bit of light missing. It is quite annoying, and there are more efficient ways of making sure your crops are well lit up, but just lining them in torches, lanterns, or glowstone really ensures they will grow!

Let me know if this helps!
    Sydix

6. Syn

Syn

Syntaxvgm
    sometimes random ones dont grow for a long time. Also, you must be within 2 chunks (5x5 chunk area) for them to grow

Occasionally, there's also a desync between the client and the server. You'll notice this more with blocks not appearing on client side, for example when harvesting them very fast you may get stuck, that's because you destroyed it client side but it never actually happened on the server. In that case warping to like spawn and back fixes it. In that case you'd know because you couldn't walk through or stand in those blocks, it would jitter and throw you around

7. Ankh

Ankh
    As said above, it's the low light level that's causing it. Melons need at least light level 9 (on the block with the stem) to grow. I believe it's the same with all other crops, aside from Sugar Cane & Cacti. They don't need light to grow.

8. Cxrtr

Cxrtr
    Hey there,

There isn't much you can do about this issue. If you submitted a bug report about it, you could probably get a more in depth answer by the Owner or a Quality Assurance team member, but essentially it's an issue on Minecraft's part and not much can be done about it. As your farm is fully lit up and the water is dispersed evenly, everything is set up properly.

I don't think that it's a big deal at all, as it's only 2-4 melons per row (given your screenshot). The money loss really isn't large enough for it to be an important enough issue for it to be dealt with if it is in fact an MCC issue.

9. Ankh

Ankh
    Literally just went over this, it's not a bug he just doesn't have enough light. Even went onto his island myself to double check:

Picture of his farm, with light levels shown:
    upload_2019-7-24_2-36-15.png

And yes, I know it's the middle of the night in the screenshot. The light level everywhere on the island is still 15, as if it were mid-day. The light is simply being blocked out by the level above it, that's all.

#9 Ankh, Jul 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
    Syn likes this.
  10. Syn

Syn

Syntaxvgm
    lol no light? Looks like he thought it worked fine because of the sky.
    @Ankh is right, I went too. How is this not obvious

[​IMG]
    OP, this is how you build a nice and easy melon farm

[​IMG]
    Just lay the glowstone, dont need to think about light at all. It's the same price as dirt.

#10 Syn, Jul 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
  11. Ankh

Ankh
    Well it did, until he added the second layer above it.

12. Cxrtr

Cxrtr
    I only noticed the first picture that was sent, my apologies. I had the page open in the broswer all day so I wasn't aware there were more screenshots.

13. Syn

Syn

Syntaxvgm
    what I meant. Lol the whole design is too complicated, but I should consider me may not have fly
    edit
    nvm he does

14. Syn

Syn

Syntaxvgm
    @Tcay I'd suggest, while you're at it, building any new melons down low or high, and take advantage of the full 5x5 chunk area for each layer, centered where you wish to afk for other crop/future spawners. Crops grow 2 chunks away as I said, but spawners only work 1 chunk away.

Any larger (like mine) requires a loop pool or multiple accounts to grow them all, but you want it as long as possible as it's annoying to fly between layers/moving between rows a lot is annoying when you have a melon axe and you can break them as fast as you run. The advantage of the size of mine (130x130) is 1 row fills an inventory about, but the 5x5 chunk area is the best option likely.

Use /chunky to show chunks on older clients. btw 1.89 client has least lag problems on this server- if you're using a new one that can show chunks visually (f3+g) you might want to try switching

15. Kyee__

Kyee__
    A lot of people have pretty much gave you advice and what has happened with your melon farm. If you are still having problems i suggest making a post in the Bug Reports section so the QA team, Alex and Vislo can see it and try to fix the problem. If you still need help you can either DM Timppali or KierenBoal on discord & they are Part of the QA Team and they will report it!

16. Ankh

Ankh
    ...are you serious? THIS IS NOT A BUG. The issue has been explained at least 10 times now. I literally even showed pictures explaining why they don't grow. Please read the replies before posting a message.

17. Knuck1es

Potatooz
    There probably isn’t enough light

Dog7000 likes this.
  18. Knuck1es

Potatooz
    Try adding some glowstone or sea lanterns to add some light

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Minecraft Central Store | Powered by Xenforo | Minecraft Central Rules
The MCC server is in no way affiliated with Mojang, AB. Nor should it be considered a company endorsed by Mojang, AB.