mental health

Discussion in 'Server Suggestions' started by youngsad, Jun 9, 2020.

?

Would this make the server more sad?

1. Yes because more people would only be sad

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. No but it is still helpful cause some people dont have anywhere to go

6 vote(s)
    85.7%
  1. youngsad

can we get a vent chat for people with mental health problems and for someway to talk it out on discord. ive never had so much pressure when a kid messaged me saying he was having suicidal thoughts and i knew how he felt cause i was there. i dont know how to help him though. Also seeing people get really upset about losing their e-partner

ltself likes this.
  2. ltself

ltself
    Hey, I do certainly agree peoples mental health should be considered in all communities. Having a channel allowing for people to vent and get their feelings out is not a bad thing but there is danger for privacy issues which is both self and externally regulated. I know there is many people out here in this community who would want to help others but I do not think there will be any professional advice given and some advice that members may give could be really inappropriate and misleading. I think the best thing for the community would be information on the forums and in the discord somewhere about mental issues such as helplines and any links that are medically/ professionally approved.

Here is a good resource that could be pinned: https://checkpointorg.com/global/

Zonafer and Cessie2u like this.
  3. youngsad

Exactly, I didnt explain it that well but this totally makes sense. I understand that some people might not take it seriously but we could maybe have a ticket bot that makes the conversations private with staff or certain people. just so people cant get made fun of.

ltself likes this.
  4. Cessie2u

Cessie2u
    I would like to speak to this matter in a professional way.

Mental health conditions are a serious problem. Without the right treatment, things can go downhill very fast. With that being said, I don't think that mine-craft is a place to vent your frustrations. While for some it may help, it's not a good idea to encourage people to decompress in that setting while they may need extensive therapy.

(Excuse my profanity)

Listen bud, we all go through shit. It's imperative to get the help that you need. I am not a mental health counselor, but I do have mandatory reporting training and understand both the complex legalities and procedures for people (generally under 18) seeking mental health treatment. I am going to say this loud and clear. If you need help, reach out to someone in real life. If you reside in the United States, I will provide some links below.

Suicide Prevention
    NAMI
    NIH

While I understand that you didn't advertise the needs for these social services, it's still important that those be out there. Maybe someone could benefit from this thread.

I hope that you safely and comfortably navigate these difficult times.

If you ever need to talk to someone, shoot me a message on discord. I have some psychology training and I probably could help you out a bit.

merkava likes this.
  5. Zonafer

Zonafer
    As much as I understand your concern and feel for the people involved, I agree with the others on this thread in that Minecraft may not be the best or safest place to have these conversations and have people venting about their personal lives and the like.

The first and biggest reason is privacy concerns. Obviously when someone is going through a rough patch they are not thinking too much about what they are saying, and as a result it may be very easy to coax otherwise private information out of them. This now poses a major safety issue, because a person with unknown intentions has someone's address, phone number, workplace, etc.

The second reason is moderation; who would moderate the venting chats? There are staff members on the server, but they are trained to punish players who are breaking the rules, and I would argue few, if any of them have any crisis training or management skills. If a staff member is also sensitive to a certain topic being discussed (because yes, staff are human too), then this may cause a problem on both ends. The person who is supposed to be moderating the conversation is now distressed, and the person who wanted to let off some steam is unable to.

The third reason is information may not be credible, helpful or even harmful. Not everyone who has access to these chats will have the best of intentions. Assuming this would be a feature of the Discord server, it's very easy for a person to spam "kill yourself" or something similar in one of those channels, and even easier to make an alt account and harass people again. Even those with good intentions may be providing inaccurate, outdated or plain bad info and advice. MCC is not a mental health community, not everyone here has struggled with their mental health and I don't think many people here have any formal training, either.

The fourth is resources and time. Staff members have a lot to do as is; requirements and players are always there, and throwing in an extra chat that needs to be moderated so carefully is a terrible idea. If a bot was to be involved, it would have to be coded from scratch and private channels created for this purpose, which is a lot of work and a lot of potential problems can arise.

Overall, I think you had all the best intentions when writing this post, however the idea isn't really something worth implementing for the reasons I mentioned above. A great idea would be to provide people with links to counseling services, crisis hotlines or charities supporting their cause. Suicide Stop has a great list of hotlines, and you can always find local information like hotlines, services and charities catering to your needs through a quick Google search. I don't think it's necessary to have a list of resources on the forums, as many resources only serve a specific area or country. For everything listed above, -1.

Simplistiq, Rev3rse and Swinger like this.
  6. Eleung_musk

eleung
    I’ve never seen this post before and it saddens me to know that there are players out there who are suicidal. Sometimes I want to say that it’s all a phase, but how much could we take before we break? How long before we say it’s no longer just a phase we go through? I do hope this player does get better :)) and hopefully he will be happy knowing that not all MCC players are toxic.

However, I would like a second to address it as well. Being suicidal and posting suicidal comments mean that when they post, if they are charismatic enough or charming, they might convince others to suicide as well. To me, that’s really scary but if they added a mental health forum or discord, I would definitely stay inside and try to help people.

There are hotlines for this but I’m not gonna mention them cause they’ve been mentioned enough. I think coming together as a community to help these people is the best. Not arguing with them over death but just caring for them in general. Maybe they spend hours on MCC and just get hated on all the time and become depressed because of this.

I definitely support this! However, it would be kinda complicated too... since paragraph 2.

7. Unadvised

Unadvised
    You can just talk in discord dm's or a private discord server. We will not be adding a vent chat. Its un needed and will just be abused. It will cause more issues then it is worth.

Minecraft Central Store | Powered by Xenforo | Minecraft Central Rules
The MCC server is in no way affiliated with Mojang, AB. Nor should it be considered a company endorsed by Mojang, AB.